ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
Why Do We Give Flowers On Valentine's Day?
While it is a very much celebrated tradition here in the Philippines, not everyone is aware how exactly Valentine's Day came about. We of course associate it with St. Valentine but do not know how he was actually recognized as the saint of lovers. Before you send that red, heart-glazed greeting card, read on and be initiated.
Prior to the third century of Rome, the 14th of February is nothing but an ordinary day. During his reign, Emperor Claudius II banned marriage for young men as they seemed to be better soldiers than husbands and fathers. This discrimination made a young priest named Valentine furious. Such injustice caused Valentine to rebel against the emperor by continuing to perform marriages among young lovers in secret. The emperor naturally discovered Valentine's secret. The priest was arrested, jailed, and sentenced to death. As the emperor's luck would have it, Valentine fell in love with his daughter who frequently paid the prisoner a visit. Before he caught his last breath, Valentine sent his beloved a letter and signed it: from your Valentine. The priest was executed on February 14, 270 AD. Almost 300 ...
... years after, Pope Gelasius imposed that February 14 be a day to honor Valentine, who by that time was declared as a saint.
For thousands of years, the feast of St. Valentine has been one of the most popular customs that is much to the delight of flower shop owners and the dread of most men. Here in the Philippines, it definitely is the second most popular feast next to the tie breakers Christmas and New Year. Hands down: flowers take the cake this time of the year being the most popular gift of choice. Why wouldn't it be when these cut blossoms are readily available and have long symbolized fertility, love, marriage, and romance?
Floriography or speaking in the language of flowers flourished in the Middle Ages when courtship is severely prohibited. How lovers communicate for weeks or even months through flowers alone is just unbelievable! While we are one SMS or e-mail away today, you've got to admit that we still speak the language of flowers. It is very evident here in the Philippines how this dialect never seems to wilt away. While flowers can be given year round, sending a dozen or two during the 14th of February is extra special as it is paired with the thought of eternal love, similar to the life Valentine has lived.
This article was written by Timothy Spencer for Island Rose - Philippine Flower Delivery. We hope you enjoyed this article and encourage you to visit our website. Through Island Rose, you can find Philippine Flower Shops or simply browse through our blog for more informative articles.
Home and Garden Articles1. Expert Washer Repair Services In Ashburn, Va: Keeping Your Laundry Routine Running Smoothly
Author: Jack Thomas
2. The Ultimate Guide To Dishwasher Repair In Ashburn, Va
Author: Jack Thomas
3. Transform Your Home With Professional Cleaning And Painting Services In Bangalore
4. Revitalize Your Home With Professional House Deep Cleaning Services In Bangalore
5. Transform Your Brisbane Home With Superb Hybrid Floors
Author: Damien Alcock
6. Improve The Look Of Your Place By Installing Cafe Blinds
Author: Lincoln Gawler
7. Different Boundary Options Available For Residential Properties In Australia
Author: Ashton Coaldrake
8. Which Special Fencing Is Ideal For Your Commercial Property? Find It Now!
Author: Michael Gilmore
9. Everything To Know About Planning Applications
Author: Garry Stacks
10. Things You Should Know About Professional Leak Repairing
Author: Luke Huntingfield
11. How To Get Your Property Ready Before You Move In?
Author: Zac Mealmaker
12. Different Kinds Of Wardrobes To Choose From
Author: Kellaway Chloe
13. Different Kinds Of Security Services That You Can Install In Your House
Author: Owen Summerville
14. Five Amazing Ways To Amp Up Your Landscape’s Appeal!
Author: Noah Dransfield
15. Discover Your Dream Home: Windsor Park Homes For Sale In Calgary - For Sale By Owner
Author: Joe Badin