ALL >> Social-Community >> View Article
Do Women Still Cook More Than Men?
Cooking was considered more as women’s work especially during the time when gender roles was highly practiced in which men went out to work while women stayed at home to take care of the kids and do the housework. It was in the 20th century that women’s labor force participation was encouraged which decreases the percentage of women who stayed at home.
In a study done in 2016, it was found that the percentage of home cooking among men increased while the percentage of women who cooked decreased. From 29% in 1965, the percentage of men who cooked increased to 46% in 2016 while women decreased from 92% in 1965 to 70% in 2016. Cooking programs hosted by men and the popularity of male celebrity chefs such as Jamie Oliver have presented cooking as a masculine activity that help encourage men to cook.
However, men cooking is more of a leisure activity rather than of a household work. Men are now health and body conscious which motivates them to cook their own food than relying to fast food or ready to eat convenience food such as burgers and noodles that contains more saturated fats and added sugar than home cooked ...
... meals. This means that men are most likely cook to take care of their health and maintain their body image rather than a necessity or as part of their responsibility at home.
In a separate study, it was found that only men with middle to higher education (high school to college degree) had increased the amount of cooking they do; but there was no change for lower educated (less than high school) men. This may be that middle to upper class men have more time and money to cook than less educated men. On the other hand, women with higher education cook less compared to women with lower education. This is most likely because of the women’s labor force participation that encourages women to go to work. Of course, women with middle to higher educational attainment are most likely to be hired for yellow or white-collar jobs that can limit their time in cooking than women with lower educational attainment.
Despite the increase of the percentage of men who cooked and the decrease of the percentage of women who cooked, men still retain a smaller percentage than women in terms of family cooking. Women have more time, or at least make time, for cooking and are still the primary cook at home as they take it as their responsibility for the family especially if they are a mother. They are committed and motivated to provide healthy and beneficial food for the whole family.
Isabella Whitmore enjoys cooking and learning new recipes. She also enjoys writing for https://electrickettlesplus.com/, an appliance website that provides different types of electric kettles which are essential for cooking.
Social Community Articles1. Best Astrologer In Puttur | Famous Astrologer In Puttur
2. Social Marketing: A Friendly Option For Small Businesses
Author: Wisoft Solutions
3. Healthy Meals Reviving Well-being At Inr 75
Author: annamrita foundation
4. The Best Indian Astrologer In Jamaica
5. Best Astrologer In Louisiana | Famous Astrologer In Louisiana
Author: Pandith Srinivas Acharya
6. Open To Love - A Modern Woman's Memoir On Being Single And Happy
Author: Aji R. Michael
7. You Want To Download A Dating App, What Should You Look For?
8. Consult A Best Indian Astrologer In Toronto
Author: Astro Laxmanji
9. Dating Is Easy Now With More Matches, Dating Tips And Dating Ideas
Author: karamjit Kaur
10. Voodoo Priest In Toronto Has The Answer To Everything
Author: Astro Laxmanji
11. Organizations That Help Children Are Focused To Build Resilience Through Life Skills
Author: Magicbus USA
12. Simple And Smart Approach To Self Improvement | Personal Development
13. Gender Gap Is More In Insurance And Finance Industries - A Comprehensive Study
Author: Ruby Martin
14. Best Astrologer In K R Market | Famous Astrologer In K R Market
Author: Pandith Hanumantha rao
15. Best Social Media Marketing Company In Patna - Improve The Organic Traffic
Author: Saadrh Digital Software Pvt Ltd