ALL >> Sports >> View Article
Pro Basketball Coaching Tips To Avoid Common Injuries
Basketball can be a great workout, whether you’re on a school team, a professional player or shooting some hoops for fun. Unfortunately, as with any physical activity, you can sustain an injury. Basketball injuries can usually be classified as cumulative or acute injuries. So, here we have some pro basketball coaching tips to help you avoid some of the most common injuries.
As the name suggests, cumulative injuries result from overuse. Over time, stress on the joints, soft tissues and muscles can accumulate without the proper healing time. These injuries often begin as a small nagging pain or ache, but they can develop into a significant, debilitating injury without early treatment.
Basketball injuries in this category include tendonitis, which is the general term for an inflamed tendon. Common basketball tendonitis injuries include:
● Rotator Cuff Tendonitis: This is the part of your shoulder joint responsible for rotating the arm and moving it up and down. These are obviously essential movements for shooting hoops.
● Achilles tendonitis: Attaching the ankle to the calf muscle is the Achilles tendon. This gets a good workout during basketball as it is needed for short sprints. The chief symptom is a pain at the back of your ankle, above the heel, which is often worse in the mornings.
Acute injuries occur as a result of a trauma when a sudden impact or force is applied to the area. While basketball is technically a non contact sport, anyone who has spent time on the court will know there are lots of opportunities for bumps and falls. All the short sprints, twists, and jumps can also cause traumatic injuries.
The most common acute injuries in basketball include:
● Wrist Sprains: If you fall with your hand outstretched, the impact can sprain or even break your wrist.
● Finger Fractures: Falls, contact or even a bad pass can cause a fractured finger.
● Ankle Sprains: A sudden change of direction when running can cause a sprained ankle
● Meniscus Injuries: The meniscus is the pad that cushions the inside of your knee, and it can be torn if you forcefully rotate the knee while keeping your foot firmly planted.
● ACL/PCL Injuries: Anterior or posterior cruciate ligaments provide knee stability, and injuries can occur during a change of direction or sudden twisting motion.
A good basketball coaching professional can help you to prevent injuries, but there are some simple tips that can minimise your risk. Both of these types of injuries can occur from a lack of proper rest, poor conditioning, overuse or a lack of proper warm up. So, to help prevent basketball injuries, it is essential to take the following precautions.
● Warm up: You need to thoroughly warm up before playing. Jumping and sprinting with cold muscles increases the risk of injury.
● Wear Supportive Shoes: Good quality basketball shoes have skid resistant soles and can support your foot and ankle.
● Use Good Technique: Play by the rules, and you’re less likely to get checked
● Clean off the Court: Before play, give the court a clean to remove any debris or slippery spots
● Stay Hydrated: Hydration provides lubrication for the joints, tendons, and muscles. Drink before play and at regular intervals.
● Plan Your Recovery: Finally, allow adequate recovery time between games and coaching sessions.
If you’re considering basketball coaching in Melbourne, Tomorrow’s Stars Basketball is here to help. We offer basketball coaching for all ages and would be delighted to help.
Sports Articles1. Pro Kabaddi League 2019: Eliminator 1: Up Yoddha Vs Bengaluru Bulls: 11wickets Prediction, Fantasy T
Author: sarbajit Banerjee
2. 2019년 대표 토토사이트 빅3
Author: 검증사이트 최고의 인기 안전토토사이트 메이저놀이터들
3. 토토사이트의 메이저사이트
4. Victor Bravesword 12: The Classic All-round Racket For Advanced Players
Author: Jeremy Hughes
5. Experience The Benefits Of Uplula Magazine Loaders
Author: Carl White
6. Collect F1 Minichamps & Showcase Your Passion For F1 Championship
7. 7-a-side Tactics - The Essential Guide
Author: John Miller
8. Reasons You Should Take Your Kids To A Martial Arts School
Author: Marsin Mackle
9. Karate Classes – Kids Benefitting More Via After School Activities
Author: Naquan Meyer
10. Martial Art Can Be The Best Way To Self Discovery
Author: Naquan Meyer
11. What The In-crowd Won't Tell You About Rocky Mountain Horse
12. Unusual Article Uncovers The Deceptive Practices Of Rocky Mountain Horse
13. What You Can Do About Rocky Mountain Horse Beginning In The Next 10 Minutes
14. Fraud, Deceptions, And Downright Lies About Rocky Mountain Horse Exposed
15. Secret Facts About Rocky Mountain Horse Revealed By Industry Leaders