ALL >> Food,-Cooking-and-Drink >> View Article
Sabich - Israeli Sandwich
Some years ago, the citizens and guests of Tel Aviv took notice of a new trendy delicacy, called a sabich. Nobody knew at the time that it would become so popular that almost every tourist who visited would want to try it. So: what is a sabich? It is an Israeli sandwich that consists of spiced eggplant, a hard-boiled egg and pickles. It's a very salty, savory combination and is usually stuffed into a pita and covered with tahini sauce and amba, which is drawn from Indian flavors. The dish is now one of the favorite street foods in Israel.
But sabich isn't new to everyone: Iraqi residents brought it with them when immigrating in large numbers to the Tel Aviv suburb of Ramat Gan in the 1940s and 1950s.
In the 1950s and 1960s, vendors began to sell the sandwich in open-air stalls. The primary name of the sandwich and its origin are the subject of much debate. The main letters of sabich -S-B-H- spell "morning" in Arabic, which makes sense; Iraqi Jews had customarily ate sabich on Sabbath mornings. However, there is also a theory that the main letters of the sandwich's name stand for salat, beizah, hazilim (salad, eggs, eggplant) - the principal ingredients of the delicacy. A third theory is that the food was originally named after the founder of Israel's first ever sabich shop, Sabich Tsvi Halabi.
Though the history of the sandwich's name is open for debate, it has been a great success. One of the country's most popular street foods, sabich can be seen throughout the street shops of Tel Aviv or any other city in Israel.
- 1 medium eggplant (¾ lb.), sliced into 3/8-inch rounds
- 2 ½ tsp. olive oil, for brushing
- 4 Tbs. prepared hummus
- 4 pita rounds or crusty French or Italian rolls, such as ciabatta rolls (each about 3 oz.)
- Hot pepper relish, such as zehug, or other hot sauce to taste, optional
- 4-8 slices pickled mango, such as amba, or other spicy pickles, optional
- ¼ cup tahini, stirred well
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
Diced Vegetable Salad
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced (1 cup)
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced (¾ cup)
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro or Italian parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped red or other onion
1. To make Sandwich: Preheat broiler. Arrange eggplant slices in single layer on foil-lined baking sheet. Brush eggplant with 1 1/4 tsp. oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Broil 4 minutes, flip with spatula, brush with remaining 1 1/4 tsp. oil, and broil 4 minutes more, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, to make Tahini Sauce: Stir together tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and 3 Tbs. water in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. To make Diced Vegetable Salad: combine all ingredients in medium bowl.
4. To serve: Divide eggplant slices, hummus, and Diced Vegetable Salad among pitas. Drizzle with Tahini Sauce, and garnish with hot relish, if using. Serve with more Tahini Sauce on the side, and pickled mango slices, if using.
- 14 g
- 15 g
- 2 g
- 59 g
- 0 mg
- 545 mg
- 6 g
- 6 g
- Serves 4
Aufgang Travel is the best way to discover Isreal. We have more than 60 years-history and provide only the best travelling experience.
Food, Cooking and Drink Articles1. Restaurant Online Ordering App & Ordering Systems
2. Food As Medicine – Eating Properly For Immunity And Health
Author: Satjit Kumar
3. Mango Dehydrator Dehydrates The Mangoes Properly!
Author: James Rodriguez
4. Asia Pacific To Dominate The Plant Extracts Market, By Application, Throughout 2025
5. Organic Yeast Market | Opportunity | Challenge | Global Forecast
6. Outdoor Wedding Catering Food Ideas To Make Your Guests Feel Wow
Author: Brian Daoud
7. Buying Authentic Indian Groceries In San Francisco Bay Area
Author: Simon Jones
8. Shrink Plastic Film Market Latest Trends, Growth, Opportunities And Forecast 2025
9. 5 Summer Time Smoothie Recipes For Breakfast
Author: Boss India
10. Food Emulsifiers Market – It’s Key Opportunities And Challenges
11. Weekend Eating - Out Falling Sick Loop Broken By Covid Stay At Home
Author: Satjit Kumar
12. Upcoming Growth Trends In The Textured Vegetable Protein Market
13. The Best Air Fryers In 2020
14. Red Wine: The Healthiest Alcohol You Can Drink
Author: 24 hours alcohol delivery
15. Buy Online Shisha Canada
Author: ricky lowrence