ALL >> Business >> View Article
Multiculturalism In The 21 Century
First, it was Angela Merkel who pointed out that multiculturalism has failed in Germany and now David Cameron declared that“the UK needed national identity to prevent people turning to all kinds of extremism”.
What are the risks of multiculturalism?
Multicultural societies are seen as more tolerant and democratic but there are also some problems attached to multiculturalism that, in some cases, it is seen as a threat to national identity.
Jonathan Sacks, Britain's Chief Rabbi, believes that "Multiculturalism can lead not to integration but to segregation” because it may reinforce the social frictions instead of reducing them.
Certainly there are some risks of friction between ethnic groups that have different religions and praise different values. The detractors of multiculturalism argue that it erodes the host nation’s distinct culture. Patrick West, suggests in his report “The Poverty of Multiculturalism” that “no society can survive unless its members subscribed to a set of core values, whereas multiculturalists encourage minorities to see themselves as separate”.
What is ...
... the British Identity?
Back in 2006, the then UK chancellor Gordon Brown announced plans to launch a British Day in order to ‘focus on things that bring us together’. Nevertheless, the plan was dropped due to a lack of consensus.
If we want to celebrate the British identity, first, we need to define it. Some of the main elements of a national identity are language and history. In Britain we don’t have a common history. Before the political union of the kingdoms of England and Scotland they were fighting against each other and still many people in Scotland regard themselves as Scottish before British. The ethnic minorities that constitute the cosmopolitan British society arrived in the country mainly during the second half of last century. Therefore, there has not been enough time to create a strong bond within the different communities.
The attempts of the past government to embrace all members of the communities did back fire. Putting at their disposal language facilities to ease peoples’ access to public services did not incentive them to learn the English language. But multiculturalism and social integration go beyond language. A successful social integration supposes the creation and establishment of common values that should be over ethnic differences. This by no means is synonymous that the different communities should give up their traditions.
As a translation agency, we come across different clients, individual and corporate organizations, of whom have different languages and cultures and we see mutual acceptance as the keystone of a productive social integration.
Business Articles1. 5 Principles Of Corrective Actions For Non-conformances Found During Iso/iec 17025 Audit
2. Short Term Loans Direct Lenders – Way Of Fast Funding
Author: James Robinson
3. Everything You Need To Know About Staff Augmentation
Author: Sigma Solve
4. Upvc Windows Designs India
Author: ravi kumar
5. Buy Highland Mint Silver Coins & Bars Online | Bold Precious Metals
Author: BOLD Precious Metals
6. Choosing The Best Home Batteries For Your Solar Energy System
Author: Michael Springer
7. How To Integrate Payment Gateway In Ios Apps?
8. Why You Should Consider Home And Office Sound Reduction
Author: Henry Janice
9. How Many Rings Does Danny Green Have?
10. What Is The Most Valuable Use Of Ground Protection Mats?
Author: eps america
11. The Diverse Benefits Of Ecomass High Density Engineering Thermoplastic
Author: Michael Luis
12. Exfoliating Ingredient Market: An Exclusive Study On Upcoming Trends And Growth Opportunities
Author: Lucintel LLC
13. Tae’tu Launched Into The Tattoo Industry With Its Patented And Fda Approved Tattoo Aftercare Product Protecting Against Infection, Itching, Dryness An
14. You Should Always Look For The Best Remortgage Advice From A Broker Before You Make Any Decision
Author: Alicia Karan
15. What Is An Etching Primer? And Its Use
Author: Zigma Paints (P) Ltd.