ALL >> Sports >> View Article
London Olympics 2012 News & Schedule
London is all set to host the biggest even on the planet for the record third time. The city hosted the Olympic Games in 1908 and 1948 and with the 2012 Summer Olympics, it will become the first city in the world to host it thrice. London is also the only city in the United Kingdom to have ever hosted the Olympics.
The Olympic 2012 schedule is from 27 July to 12 August 2012. London was chosen in after the bidding defeating places like Moscow, New York City, Madrid and Paris. The main highlight of the London Olympic 2012 schedule from July 27 is the Olympic Park. The sports complex is being prepared for the 2012 Summer Olympics which is situated to the east of the city adjacent to the Stratford City development. Olympic Park will contain numerous things including athletes' Olympic village and several of the sporting venues including the Olympic Stadium and Aquatics Centre.
The other sporting venues are Olympic Stadium, Aquatics Centre, Water Polo Arena, Riverbank Arena, Basketball Arena, Copper Box and London Velopark.
2012 Summer Olympics will use some old venues along with the new ones. The venues will include some existing and historic facilities, some temporary facilities in locations like Hyde Park and Horse Guards Parade.
London is also gearing up in terms of transport services for the big event. Because of the 2012 Games, the London Overground's East London Line will be expanded. Along with that Docklands Light Railway and the North London Line will also be upgraded to help the commuters.
The officials are expecting a big turnout for the big event and the estimates for the tickets available for the 2012 Summer Olympics is around 8 million. Along with the paid tickets there will also be some free events like the marathon, triathlon and road cycling.
Around 4,700 medals have been prepared for the Olympic and Paralympic Games. The medal is 7mm thick and weighs 375–400g.
The opening ceremony for the London Olympics is named 'The Isles of Wonder’ and the Oscar winning director, Danny Boyle will be the artistic director for the 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremony.
Athletes from around 204 National Olympic Committees are expected to take part in the Olympics. Till now 167 countries have qualified at least one athlete for the sporting event. The games will see 26 sports being played and a total number of 39 disciplines. London bid for 28 sport but IOC dropped baseball and softball and the number that remained is 26.
The organizing committee for 2012 Summer Olympics, London 2012 Organising Committee (LOCOG) will be carrying out a full scale test of the Olympic Park from May 2 to May 8.
Sports Articles1. Latest News And Specials From The Vines Mini Golf Club
Author: Carly Odgers
2. Some Crucial Safety Tips While Using Airsoft Ammunition
Author: Nikki Smith
3. New Zealand Beat India By 10 Wicket In The 1st Test In Wellington.
4. How To Enjoy A Memorable Paragliding Experience?
Author: John Marius
5. Portugal's Most Famous Surf School | A Perfect Surfing Camps
Author: Marco Pere - Estela Surf & Hostel
6. 2020 Badminton Debate: Yonex Arcsaber 11 Vs. Yonex Duora 10
Author: Jeremy Hughes
7. Choosing A Golf Course When Traveling
Author: Golf Lounge
8. How Much Does It Cost To Develop Sports Betting App Like William Hill?
Author: Robbie Royce
9. How To Avoid Injuries With Sports Strapping Tape
10. Decoding Fantasy Cricket And It’s Lively Experience
Author: sam klein
11. Mobile App-based Sports Betting – The Future Of Sports Betting
Author: Robbie Royce
12. Lebron James Got The Touch! L.a. Lakers Vs. Spurs Highlights!
Author: Donnie Smith
13. Shotgun Heat Shield Must Be Used To Enhance The Safety Measures!
Author: Mike Lopez
14. Self Defence Hoppers Crossing Point Cook: Engage In The Form Of Learning Martial Arts
Author: Marco Stoinis
15. Calcio Napoli News