ALL >> Writing >> View Article
Don't Make These 8 Writing Mistakes!
Is it possible to improve your writing instantly? The answer, happily, is yes.
While researching a book on famous speeches and essays, I found eight easily correctable mistakes writers often make. Here they areand how to correct them instantly.
1. UNFOCUSED SUBJECT - Focus on a single theme only. Every sentence and paragraph should reinforce that topic.
2. TOO LONG - Abraham Lincoln crafted his Gettysburg Address in less than 300 words. Unless I'm specifically asked to do otherwise, I try to condense my work to one double-spaced single page (about 250 words).
3. WEAK PREMISE - Can you state the major focus of your message in 20 words or less?
4. NO ATTENTION-GRABBER - The first sentence or two must quickly attract the reader. Two ways to do this: (a) ask a question or (b) reveal a discovery.
5. UNLINKED PARAGRAPHS - Each paragraph should logically lead to the next. One way some writers do this: (a) quickly write several paragraphs on a subject; ((b) prioritize them; (c) present them in descending order from most important to least important; (d) conclude by restating ...
... the two or three most important points.
6. PASSIVE VERBS - Passive verbs like is, am, was, and were simply exist. Action verbs run, jump, excite, and motivate.
7. BORE FACTOR - Some research says the average adult attention span is only eight seconds. So it's important to make your points convincingly, and end your paper powerfully.
8. WEAK ENDING - Exit your report like an experienced stage performerleave your audience wanting more. Two ways to do this: (a) use a famous quote to reinforce your conclusion, or (b) give details showing the reader where to get more information on the subject. (Examples: your phone, fax, e-mail, etc.)
About the Author RIX QUINN wrote the book "Words That Stick," which offers quick writing tips for people who hate to write. (The book's available at your local bookstore, or Amazon.com.)
He serves as a communications consultant to large and medium-sized businesses, and conducts frequent writing workshops for colleges, businesses, and schools.
Writing Articles1. Understand The Importance Of An Online Plagiarism Checker
2. How Can You Benefit From Academic Editing Services?
Author: First Editing
3. Ingco Tools Share Tips On Maintenance Of Power Tools
4. Choose Happiness Over The Sorrow Of A Lifetime
Author: joey Raab
5. The Current State Of Ar & Why Mixed Reality Is On The Horizon?
6. Freelance Writing Is The Best To Make Quick Money
Author: Gabriella Ella
7. Einstantly Not Only Provides National News But Also The International (nri) News. How?
8. Case Report Writing In The Healthcare Sector Of An Integrated Supply Chain – Pubrica
9. Einstantly Provides The Latest Breaking News In India
10. Browse Einstantly For Latest News Updates In Telangana:
11. Systematic Review Of Quality Standards For Medical Devices And Practice Measures For Patient Safety – Pubrica
12. Fda Classify Medical Devices And How To Report Device Problems: A Systematic Review – Pubrica
13. Read Latest Celebrity News & Updates With Einstantly
14. A Systematic Review And Meta-analysis Of Plant Cell Technology For Production Of Natural-based Drugs – Pubrica
15. Einstantly Exclusive: 5 Major Latest Technology Updates Of April 2022