ALL >> Writing >> View Article
Becoming An Online Word Compactor
Writing for online publication differs from writing for
print. One difference is length; online pieces tend to be
less than 1,000 words in length. Long text passages are
difficult to read on-screen, so the key to writing
successfully online is to become a "word compactor".
If you follow a few simple rules, you'll have no problem
writing articles that online publishers will love.
1. Use a summary lead and closing. Open with one or two
sentences that summarize your position, and close with one
or two sentences that reinforce your point, and tie back to
your opening somehow.
2. The online audience is so large that you can, and should,
pick a very narrowly-focused topic. You don't want to write
about "Grooming Your Dog"; you want to write about "How to
Create the Perfect Poodle-tail Pom- Pom". Once you have a
very narrow focus in mind, stick to it religiously. Cut any
sentence that doesn't directly relate to that focus.
3. Outline first. Then arrange your topics in a logical
order. This reduces the need for transition ...
4. Limit examples and anecdotes to one per topic.
5. Compress fluff. Don't use "in the not-too-distant future"
when "soon" will work.
6. If your topic contains do's and don't's, leave out one or
the other. Instead of "rather than doing 'X', it is better
to do 'Y'", simply write "Do 'Y'".
7. Make friends with your dictionary and thesaurus. Replace
adjectives and adverbs with active verbs and nouns. "Very,
very large" might become "gargantuan", and "ran at top
speed" might become "sprinted".
They're not revolutionary, but these simple rules can help
you craft an informative, yet compact article for online
publications that will have e-zine and Web site editors e-
mailing you to ask when your next piece will be ready.
About the Author Mike Morgan provides a variety of services for writers. He owns
Bison Creek Author Services at http://bisoncreek.com and
moderates the Article Post-Short Pieces free content
witer-editor exchange for short content and fillers http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ap-shorts
Writing Articles1. Understand The Importance Of An Online Plagiarism Checker
2. How Can You Benefit From Academic Editing Services?
Author: First Editing
3. Ingco Tools Share Tips On Maintenance Of Power Tools
4. Choose Happiness Over The Sorrow Of A Lifetime
Author: joey Raab
5. The Current State Of Ar & Why Mixed Reality Is On The Horizon?
6. Freelance Writing Is The Best To Make Quick Money
Author: Gabriella Ella
7. Einstantly Not Only Provides National News But Also The International (nri) News. How?
8. Case Report Writing In The Healthcare Sector Of An Integrated Supply Chain – Pubrica
9. Einstantly Provides The Latest Breaking News In India
10. Browse Einstantly For Latest News Updates In Telangana:
11. Systematic Review Of Quality Standards For Medical Devices And Practice Measures For Patient Safety – Pubrica
12. Fda Classify Medical Devices And How To Report Device Problems: A Systematic Review – Pubrica
13. Read Latest Celebrity News & Updates With Einstantly
14. A Systematic Review And Meta-analysis Of Plant Cell Technology For Production Of Natural-based Drugs – Pubrica
15. Einstantly Exclusive: 5 Major Latest Technology Updates Of April 2022