ALL >> Computers >> View Article
Using The Left Formula In Excel
Do you happen to have well meaning people in your office who just don't get Microsoft excel??
In their effort make life as easy for you as possible, they end up making it a lot more complicated?
Here's an example that might seem all too familiar to you. Your boss has just finished reviewing the sales (in 2009) of each person in your sales team. Based on their experience, and his gut feel, he has assigned sales targets for everybody in 2010. These are expressed as percentages of sales achieved in 2009.
This data is shown below. He wants you to get at the actual sales targets.
In order to compute the sales target, you'd ideally want to multiply the numbers in the second column with those in the third. Except that you can't.
You can't do this because your boss has entered each data point as a text (" 180% of Last Year"). So what you're going to have to do is manually look up each number, and enter it as a formula in the adjoining cell.
Now, there are only nine people in this hypothetical example, but imagine a sales team that comprises of say, 200 people. Problem? Late night at the office? Frustration all round?
Not with Microsoft excel 2007 tutorial, there isn't!
Excel has this rather nifty formula called "left". And left is as left does.
Left (the formula) lets you take a cell and extract a certain number of characters from the left. So, for example "=Left(A3,4)" would extract the first four characters out of whatever happens to be in cell A3.
You can see where we're going with this, can't you?
All you have to do is what's shown in the picture below, and drag throughout the entire problem. Voila, problem solved!
That's a fairly simple application of the Left formula. And yes, Excel has a "Right" version as well. Not to mention a "Mid".
How have you gone about using these formulas? Any particularly delectable use cases? Do let us know!
ExcelEverest.com sells an interactive Microsoft excel lesson plans that's built right into an Excel file. It covers 41 topics and has 155 exercises, 339 buttons, and 87 embedded videos. For more related articles please visit http://www.exceleverest.com/blog/.
Computers Articles1. Top 5 Text Editors To Install On Windows 10
Author: Augustine Bayer
2. How To Connect Hp Deskjet 4152 To Wireless Router
Author: flexi answers
3. 7 Benefits Of Custom Mobile App Ui/ux Design For Business
Author: Neelima Ls
4. What Is Digital Marketing And What Are Its Strategies
Author: Ridzi Arora
5. The Privacy-first Browser That Doesn't Track You
Author: Alexis Norris
6. Solutions For Iphone Not Charging Issues
Author: iFixScreens NewYork
7. Micro-content Vs Long-form Content - Stylus | The Write Solution
Author: Stylus Solutions
8. Anime Lasdan Is The Latest Series In Power Fantasy Genre
Author: Augustine Bayer
9. Yahoo Connection To Server Failed
Author: Jhon smith
10. Get Results With This Philadelphia Seo Agency
Author: Dan Kogan
11. Unable To Load Facebook On Chrome? Here’s The Fix
Author: Katherine Wood
12. Wesley Snipes Auditioned For Coming To America But Did Not Get The Part
Author: Angel Smith
13. Vaccine Administration Management System
Author: Subin Sabu
14. Technology In Nvocc Business
Author: Vijay Anand
15. What Are The Cloud Computing Solutions With Aws?
Author: Anu Walia