ALL >> Health >> View Article
The Fda And Hair Loss Treatments
The introduction of a new, FDA-approved hair loss drug is a breakthrough for millions of people suffering from severe alopecia areata.
Two hair loss treatments with approval from the Food and Drug Administration have restored hair loss to millions of people for a generation. But those medications, Finasteride (Propecia and Proscar brands) and Minoxidil (Rogaine brand and others), had some limitations, including fewer applications for the approximately 6.8 million people in the US, men and women, who suffer from alopecia areata. For those patients, the newly approved FDA drug is called baricitinib (Olumiant brand).
Alopecia areata is characterized by random, asymmetrical patches of hair loss, which distinguish it from the “typical” male pattern baldness and the overall thinning of hair women commonly experience. The cause of alopecia areata is a misfire in the patient’s immune system, where the defensive white blood cells attack some of the hair patches as if they were foreign to the person’s body. This not only affects scalp hair but can attack hair in other areas ...
... of the body. Importantly, the hair follicles do not die (just the visible hair falls out), so often the topically-applied Minoxidil can restore growth. Clinical studies show that baricitinib can have the same effect of restoring hair growth.
The disease typically affects adults. But there are children who have it as well.
There are millions of people around the world who suffer from severe alopecia areata. They include people with hair loss beyond the scalp – from near-total loss of hair on the head to eyelashes and eyebrows and body hair. The prescriptive medication is from Eli Lilly and Company and it targets severe alopecia areata. It is a once-daily pill taken orally and sold in 1 mg, 2 mg, and 4 mg dosages, taken according to the severity of the patient’s condition.
Patients taking the 4 mg/day dosage in clinical trials achieved 80 percent or more scalp hair coverage after following a 36-week protocol. This is not a solution that can be obtained at your local hair loss treatment clinic. These drugs must be prescribed by a physician.
Of note, this medication is used for another autoimmune disease, adults with moderately to severely active rheumatoid arthritis. It was also given an emergency use authorization (EUA) in November 2020 for patients hospitalized with COVID-19 who required supplemental oxygen.
There are side effects in use of baricitinib, which include upper respiratory tract infections, hypercholesterolemia, herpes zoster, herpes simplex, urinary tract infections, and gastroenteritis, among other conditions.
While the introduction and approval of this medication to address alopecia areata is not a cure-all for all kinds of hair loss, it’s an important advance for those who are most significantly impacted by it. The emotional and psychological well-being of patients with alopecia areata has been studied and documented: A measure knowns as HRQoL – health-related quality of life – was found to be substantially impacted, with patients exhibiting adverse symptoms with regard to personality, emotions, behaviors, and social functioning, accompanied by acute stress and alexithymia. About 300,000 people are newly diagnosed per year in the US with this condition.
Health Articles1. Discovering Excellence: Redding Gastroenterology Clinic Leads The Way
Author: Paramvir Singh
2. Finding The Best Ivf Specialists In Delhi: Your Path To Parenthood
Author: SCI IVF Hospital
3. Revolutionize Your Skincare Routine With Studdmuffyn
4. Exploring The Role Of Cdi Specialists In Healthcare Enhancement
Author: Mark Young
5. Toothache Relief And Emergency Dental Care – Winning Smiles Dental Surgery
Author: Dr.Samreen Kaur
6. Diabetes Test Strips For Cats: What You Can Expect?
Author: Mr. Asif
7. Choosing The Right Liposuction Technique In Dubai:
Author: Perfect Doctors Clinic
8. Navigating Fertility Choices: Age And The Quest For Parenthood In Delhi
Author: Surrogacy Centre India
9. The Essential Guide To Becoming A Certified First Aid Instructor
10. The Importance Of Environment In Rehab Centers
Author: Reinforce Rehab
11. Enhancing Care Coordination: Navigating The Nurs Fpx 4050 Assessment 3 Presentation
12. Enhancing Care Coordination: Nurs Fpx 4050 Assessment 3 Care Coordination Presentation To Colleagues
13. Free Hearing Aid Trial @ Home - Free Hearing Test & Home Visit
Author: Insono Hearing
14. 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training In India
Author: Kranti Yoga Tradition
15. Burlington's Cannabis Retail Boom: A Look At The Growing Market
Author: Harry Brook