ALL >> Art >> View Article
Chinese Porcelain Bowl Decorated With A Dragon Design Knocks Down For $200,000 At Briggs Auction
Briggs Auction’s Fine Estates Auction held on July 30th featured a fine selection of antique and modern furnishings, fine art, fine porcelains, decorative arts and more. "This was a well-received auction with a wide variety of items that appealed to a broad range of bidders," said Stephen Turner, the president of Briggs Auction, Inc. “Strong prices were a good indication the industry is thriving.”
The highlight of the auction was a lovely Chinese covered porcelain bowl, beautifully decorated with an enamel dragon design and a double-ring Yongzheng mark, paired with a small famille rose covered teapot with a calligraphy mark. The bowl gaveled for $200,000 (all prices quoted include the buyer's premium). It was part of a collection from a direct descendant of Thomas Alexander Scott (Pennsylvania, 1823-1881).
"It was very exciting," Mr. Turner said, “and gratifying to see this rare piece of Chinese decorative arts be so competitively fought over by bidders across the globe. The intense interest this small bowl generated almost from the day the auction was posted online showed us that we had an incredibly special ...
... piece on our hands. We're very happy not only for the consignor’s family, and for the bowl's new owner as well."
Other items from the same collection included two early 20th century Louis Vuitton monogram steamer trunks, which realized $12,250 and $6,875; a grouping of ten Sevres porcelain cabinet plates with central floral medallions and various maker marks ($9,375); a grouping of fifteen Mintons Aesthetic Movement porcelain plates, each decorated for the Japanese market with raised gold and silver ikebana designs ($6,000); and a rare German horizontal table clock of hexagonal form, circa early 18th century, signed for Peter Krenckel, who worked as an assistant to Wilhelm Köberle in Eichstätt, Germany ($6,250).
The Scott descendant collection also featured a fine assortment of antique sterling silver decorative items, to include a Scandinavian silver peg tankard with an inset Danish Coronation of Queen Caroline Mathilde medal and with a "JJE" hallmark ($10,625); a fine English sterling silver kettle on stand with 1751 date mark ($4,560); and a fine English sterling silver epergne with an 1818 date mark ($4,500).
Mid-Century Modern furniture and decorative arts continue to see strong prices, as a fine George Nakashima end table with unusual triangular-form free-edge top on a Minguren I base, circa late 1960s/early 1970s, was no exception, changing hands for $8,750. Also, a pair of Modern design floor-standing metal sound sculptures in the style of Harry Bertoia's Sonambient hammered for $5,000.
Internet bidding was done through Briggs Auction's Bid at Briggs platform and via LiveAuctioneers.com.
Please visit www BriggsAuction.com for their full auction schedule and details.
Art Articles1. Holabird's 5-day Autumn Splendor Western Americana Auction Will Be Held Oct. 28th Thru Nov. 1st
Author: Fred Holabird
2. Poster Auctions International's Rare Posters Auction No 85
Author: Jessica Adams
3. Michael D Eastwood Launches A New Book On Amazon, Dr. Julie Visits Cowboy Mike And Winston
Author: Media Manager
4. Paintings By Canada's Top Artists Attract Bidders To Miller & Miller's October 9 Online-only Auction
Author: Ethan Miller
5. Turning The Key On The Turnkey Home Grow Cabinet, "get To Know The Armoire" Webinar Set For Oct 27
Author: Steven Dubin
6. Andrew Jones Auctions Oct. 10 Sale Of The Lady Victoria White Collection Grosses Nearly $1.8 Million
Author: Aileen Ward
7. Nye & Company Will Hold A Chic And Antique Estate Treasures Auction, Online-only, October 27th-28th
Author: John Nye
8. American Indian & Tribal Art
Author: Olivia Martinez
9. The Jochimsen Collection Of Wave Crest, French Cameo Art Glass, More Will Be Auctioned October 23rd
Author: Jason Woody
10. Adam The Martian. The Architect Of Mars
11. Galle Cameo Glass Vases Take Top Lot Honors In Neue Auctions' Online Art & Antiques Auction
Author: Cynthia Maciejewski
12. Physi-tual Capital Presents The Launch Of The Physi-tual Entertainments Of Arts Warehouse, Sept 2021
Author: Austin Collings
13. Selecting The Ideal Music Event Management Company
Author: Timothy Frank
14. Andrew Jones Auctions In Los Angeles Appoints Jena Lee As Pacific Northwest Representative
Author: Aileen Ward
15. How Natasha Kohli Become A Best Artist?
Author: Natasha Kohli