ALL >> Family >> View Article
Helpful Tips For Dealing With A Teething Baby
Teething is very unpleasant for babies. Their gums are painful and itchy, and this makes them very uncomfortable. But once you know the source of your baby’s discomfort is teething, there are several things you can do to help ease his/her discomfort:
Off Your Baby Something Cold
A cold teether or frozen washcloth can feel amazing on your baby’s irritated gums. You can even offer a chilled metal teaspoon—babies love them.
Offer Chilled Food
Teething babies can be grouchy and often don’t have an appetite. However, cold things feel good on swollen gums, so be sure to offer healthy options like frozen fruits. That way, your baby is getting some relief of the teething, and eating something healthy.
Offer Teething Toys
When they start teething, some babies will start to bite down on the sides of their playpen or crib because it feels good for them to bite onto hard things. The pressure feels good and it can even speed up the teething process. Get your baby a few rubber or silicone teething toys. You may need to experiment to see what teething toys your baby likes the most. Once you figure ...
... it out, make sure you keep those teething toys clean and close by.
A few helpful teething tips you may find useful:
• attach your baby’s teether to a pacifier clip. That way, it is always within reach;
• place the teether in the refrigerator for a little while. Chilled teethers feel good on a baby’s gums.
Massage Your Baby’s Gums
The pain and swelling that comes from teething can often be soothed by massaging your baby’s gums. Simply wash your hands and use a clean finger to gently massage your baby’s gums. This may help to reduce the pain.
Comfort Your Baby
Comforting goes without saying, but it is worth the mention that your baby is very uncomfortable while teething and lots of hugs and cuddles will really help. If you are breastfeeding, be sure to offer your breast often. Breastfeeding is not just for hunger, it is very soothing for a baby too.
Offer Pediatrician Approved Over-the-Counter Pain Relievers
Your child’s pediatrician may recommend that you offer Children’s Motrin or Children’s Tylenol if your baby is especially cranky and fussy while teething. To stay safe, be sure use these medications as directed.
Experiment With Other Teething Remedies
There are several different, tried and true, safe teething remedies that moms have been using throughout the years. Some are more effective than others. You may need to experiment with a few teething remedies and see which one(s) work best for your baby.
Avoid Teething Medications with Lidocaine and Benzocaine
There are some over-the-counter teething medications that contain lidocaine or benzocaine. These can be harmful to your baby. Also avoid homeopathic teething tablets. Always check with your child’s pediatrician before you offer any kind of medication, even if it’s over-the-counter medicines.
Gioula is a full-time mother, entrepreneur and author.
To know more about her writings, please visit her blog https://tulamama.com/
Gioula is a full-time mother, entrepreneur and author. To know more about her writings, please visit her blog https://tulamama.com/
Family Articles1. Make Place For Ourtime
Author: karamjit kaur
2. First Recipients Notified By Craig D. Butler Scholarship Foundation
Author: Khadijah Butler
3. How To Find A Great Florist On The Sunshine Coast
Author: Edmund Brunetti
4. Moving With Cats? Ensure A Safer Journey & Transition
Author: Andrew Bain
5. What Is Included In The Deep Residential Cleaning Service In New Jersey?
Author: harry henrik
6. The Patrols Security Guard Services
Author: Nikhil kanojiya
7. Doctors Call For Ban On Baby Walkers. Why?
Author: Isabella Whitmore
8. Tips To Help You Pick The Best Incontinence Products
Author: Harleen Kaur
9. 5 Ways To Surprise Your Kids On Their Birthday
10. These Are The Best Baby Diapers For Your Little One
Author: Harleen Kaur
11. Throwing The Perfect Pizza Themed Party For Kids
12. Tips To Get Good Maid Services
Author: Brian Jones
13. Make A Wise Choice And Outsource Your Freight Audit Needs Right Away!
Author: John Miller
14. Top 5 Strategies For Fall Detection Of The Elderly
Author: Amit K
15. Birthday Party Games For Kids From 5 To 15