ALL >> Family >> View Article
Helpful Tips For Dealing With A Teething Baby
Teething is very unpleasant for babies. Their gums are painful and itchy, and this makes them very uncomfortable. But once you know the source of your baby’s discomfort is teething, there are several things you can do to help ease his/her discomfort:
Off Your Baby Something Cold
A cold teether or frozen washcloth can feel amazing on your baby’s irritated gums. You can even offer a chilled metal teaspoon—babies love them.
Offer Chilled Food
Teething babies can be grouchy and often don’t have an appetite. However, cold things feel good on swollen gums, so be sure to offer healthy options like frozen fruits. That way, your baby is getting some relief of the teething, and eating something healthy.
Offer Teething Toys
When they start teething, some babies will start to bite down on the sides of their playpen or crib because it feels good for them to bite onto hard things. The pressure feels good and it can even speed up the teething process. Get your baby a few rubber or silicone teething toys. You may need to experiment to see what teething toys your baby likes the most. Once you figure ...
... it out, make sure you keep those teething toys clean and close by.
A few helpful teething tips you may find useful:
• attach your baby’s teether to a pacifier clip. That way, it is always within reach;
• place the teether in the refrigerator for a little while. Chilled teethers feel good on a baby’s gums.
Massage Your Baby’s Gums
The pain and swelling that comes from teething can often be soothed by massaging your baby’s gums. Simply wash your hands and use a clean finger to gently massage your baby’s gums. This may help to reduce the pain.
Comfort Your Baby
Comforting goes without saying, but it is worth the mention that your baby is very uncomfortable while teething and lots of hugs and cuddles will really help. If you are breastfeeding, be sure to offer your breast often. Breastfeeding is not just for hunger, it is very soothing for a baby too.
Offer Pediatrician Approved Over-the-Counter Pain Relievers
Your child’s pediatrician may recommend that you offer Children’s Motrin or Children’s Tylenol if your baby is especially cranky and fussy while teething. To stay safe, be sure use these medications as directed.
Experiment With Other Teething Remedies
There are several different, tried and true, safe teething remedies that moms have been using throughout the years. Some are more effective than others. You may need to experiment with a few teething remedies and see which one(s) work best for your baby.
Avoid Teething Medications with Lidocaine and Benzocaine
There are some over-the-counter teething medications that contain lidocaine or benzocaine. These can be harmful to your baby. Also avoid homeopathic teething tablets. Always check with your child’s pediatrician before you offer any kind of medication, even if it’s over-the-counter medicines.
Gioula is a full-time mother, entrepreneur and author.
To know more about her writings, please visit her blog https://tulamama.com/
Gioula is a full-time mother, entrepreneur and author. To know more about her writings, please visit her blog https://tulamama.com/
Family Articles1. Tips For Parents On How To Grow From A Picky Parent To An Expert In Motivation
2. Personalised Face Cushions From Henry Factory
3. What’s The Importance Of Communication In Relationships?
Author: George Brun
4. What Is Ancestor Money Or Joss Paper?
5. Timeshare: Our Ultimate Guide To Everything You Need To Know
6. Pets Are A Bundle Of Joy And Happiness For Your Home
Author: asia pets
7. How Often Should I Visit My Parents In An Aged Care Facility?
Author: Bellona Care
8. Big Data: How It Is Responsible For Bigger And Better Mobile App Development
9. 4 Food Items To Boost Your Immunity
Author: Karthik Chandra
10. What Are The Mobile App Testing Process?
11. Safe By Design: Examples Of Formal Methods In Software Engineering
12. Ideas To Cut Down Garden Lighting Costs
13. 6 Problems That Can Be Resolved By Relationship Counselling
Author: George Brun
14. What Can Happen To Babies When Given Water Below 6 Months Old?
Author: Isabella Whitmore
15. Dr. Felicia Osborne In Partnership With "sisters On The Mission" Brings Jobs To Newark, Nj
Author: Media Manager