ALL >> Education >> View Article
Bring Life To Business Writing
Verbs are the backbone of sentences. Honing strong verbs is the single best strategy for clear writing. Focusing on strong verbs also naturally resolves many other syntax problems, especially passive voice used incorrectly and clause sequencing errors.
Smothered Verbs are Action Words that are buried in a Group of other Words.
• Eliminating the other words creates a clearer, more forceful sentence.
• Smothering phrases often begin with a form of be, give, have, make or take.
• The noun in the phrase often ends with -ion or -ment.
• Smothered Verb Examples
• Be in agreement
• Give consideration to
• Have a suspicion
• Make an adjustment
• Extend an invitation
• Hold a discussion
• Unsmothered Verb Examples
• Be in agreement = Agree
• Give consideration to = Consider
• Have a suspicion = Suspect
• Make an adjustment = Adjust
• Extend an invitation = Invite
Use the real verb! Cut the smothering fluff words--This is the secret to make your Business Writing look distinct.
Consider this Passage as an Example
I am in possession of your report, and my team held a discussion and gave much consideration to your budget recommendations. After much deliberation, I will give instructions to my assistant to make an adjustment to your account. You will see the increase in your budget’s total account on the intranet by Friday, when you can make a comparison between the two budget figures. (64 words)
Now Look at this Restructured Writing
I have your report, and my team discussed and considered your budget recommendations. After much deliberation, I instructed my assistant to adjust your account. You will see the increase in your budget’s total account on the intranet by Friday, when you can compare the two budget figures. (47 words)
On average, unsmothering verbs reduces bloat by 25%.This is a powerful clarity technique.
Avoid Verb + Modifier Construction
Choose powerful verbs that connote meaning, which don't need a second modifying word to do their job. A verb that cannot stand on its own is wimpy. For instance:
• "The attendant shouted loudly.”
• "The attendant shouted," is a perfect sentence. The adverb "loudly" is inferred and extraneous.
• To emphasize the shouting, if necessary, choose a more precise verb: “The attendant screeched.”
A verb that cannot stand on its own is wimpy. Choose a single strong, evocative verb instead of a verb + modifier.
• "The executive ran quickly into the boardroom.”
• "Ran quickly" is wasteful word choice. Pick a better verb. "The executive sprinted into the boardroom," is concise, visual, and lively. Avoid Verb + Modifier
The Power of Short Words
Many business writers feel they convey their intelligence more by dropping long words, when short words actually work better rhetorically. Long words don’t make you sound intelligent unless used very judiciously. In the wrong situation they’ll have the opposite effect, making you sound pretentious and even unsure. They’re also less likely to be understood and more awkward to read.
Do you really think big emotions come from big words? ----The answer is NO.
Here is a sound rule: Use small, old words where you can. If a long word says just what you want to say, do not fear to use it. But know that our tongue is rich in crisp, brisk, swift, short words. Make them the spine and the heart of what you speak and write. Short words are like fast friends. They will not let you down.
Clear business writing is a huge competitive advantage. It is the currency that conveys a company’s products and knowledge, and the primary connection to customers.
For more info https://voiceskills.org/
VOICE Research and Training Institute is the brain child of KALVI Higher Education and Research Institute, Madurai, South India with the expertise and knowledge to empower learners in the communicative skills of the English Language running through the Industrial Hub of a community that influences a country at large.
Education Articles1. Icse Or Igcse – Which Is The Best Curriculum For My Child?
Author: Carol William
2. Brighten Your Knowledge With Paramount Coaching Centre
Author: Rajiv Saumitra
3. Best Google Sketch Up Training In Noida
Author: Deepak chandra
4. General Hse Certification Courses – Basic Courses Available Online
Author: Jones Smith
5. Best Coaching Institute For Government Exam Preparations- Gurukul Academy
Author: Anoop Chauhan
6. Education Essay - How To Write One
Author: Hilda Pope
7. What Are The Advantages Of Joining The Driver Training Program?
8. Why Use Online Usmle Test Reviews?
Author: Dr Carl Stephens
9. It,bsit,bsit In Hyderabad,bsit 4 Years Program
Author: Mitsoftware solution
10. Top 10 Engineering Colleges In Australia
Author: Echoes Education
11. Msm Unify All Set To Take Agents, Institutions To ‘more Optimistic’ Future
12. How To Ace The Aptitude Reasoning Tests?
Author: Pass Psychometric
13. Tips And Tricks To Boost Your Social Media
14. Coping Up Small Business During Pandemic
Author: PhD Studies
15. Should I Invest During The Pandemic?
Author: PhD Studies