ALL >> Education >> View Article
How To Pack A Punch With Your Writing
It’s good to be able to vary your copy style – different styles for different tasks. Deep level service pages or white papers, for example, are a place where people will be looking for detail, and will expect to find copy that lays out your process or explains the nitty gritty of how your products work.
When it comes to blogs, however, it is a different matter. Here you’re after copy that grabs people quickly, and packs a real punch.
So how do you do that?
Address the reader
The quickest way to pack a punch with your copy is to address the reader directly.
Putting ‘you’ into whatever you’re writing is your short circuit to making a connection. How do you feel about that? More connected, I’ll bet than if I had written ‘how does the person reading this feel about that?’
Direct from me to you is the shortest way to hit home fast. Imagine your ideal reader, and forget about everything else, just write it to them.
Vary sentence length
Short sentences are another way to keep people moving so quickly through the copy in a way that doesn’t feel like a long hard read. Keep sentences short. That way people won’t drift off. They’ll stick with you.
Of course not every sentence needs to be super short. You want to pack a punch, not make the reader feel under fire. So vary the sentence length sometimes, so it feels conversational, but not like gunfire.
Active verbs make writing punchier. Seeing, running, jumping is all pacier than saw, ran or jumped. Similarly cutting out unnecessary ‘wills’ and ‘cans’ make you’re writing more direct. So don’t way ‘We can deliver solutions.’ Say ‘we deliver solutions.’ (Except don’t say ever ‘solutions.’ Find some real words that describe things people can picture instead. )
Metaphors and analogies can help pack power into your writing. I could tell you that last night in an Aberdeen hotel surprised me, because there seemed to be no women anywhere, except those working as waitresses, and that all the men seemed to be sizing each other up, and you might get the picture. If I told you it was like the Wild West, you’d get a quicker and sharper image of the place, and that picture will stay with you for longer. Metaphors add color and vision to whatever you’re writing.
Knock them out!
To summarize, the key to writing copy that packs a punch is to make it resonate with the reader. Put them at the heart of whatever you’re writing, keep the writing pacey and colorful, and get creative with your comparisons. It will knock them out!
For more info https://voiceskills.org/
VOICE Research and Training Institute is the brain child of KALVI Higher Education and Research Institute, Madurai, South India with the expertise and knowledge to empower learners in the communicative skills of the English Language running through the Industrial Hub of a community that influences a country at large.
Education Articles1. Ways To Enhance Business Operations. How An Mba In Operation Management Can Help?
Author: SIOM Nashik
2. Why Should You Learn React And How Can You Begin?
3. Top Quality Management Certifications For 2021
Author: Daniel Irwin
4. Top 10 Upcoming Digital Marketing Trends In 2021
5. The Concept Of Business Communication For Cseet
Author: Takshila Learning
6. Focus On Pre-learning To Nurture The Minds Of Children
Author: Lucas Rainbow
7. Bba- The Right Choice In Undergraduate Level
8. Learning Outside The Classroom Atmosphere
9. Online Education Are Always Better Than The Offline Counterpart
Author: john adam
10. Why Digital Marketing Analytics Is Important & You Must Learn It?
11. How Can I Get A Digital Advertising And Marketing Job Abroad?
12. What Is The Scope Of Digital Marketing Job Vacancies In India?
13. How To Learn The Digital Marketing Courses From The Institute
14. 7 Clever Digital Marketing Hacks To Growth Your Leads
15. What Features A Digital Marketing Student Should Have In 2020?