ALL >> Education >> View Article
Rationale For Management Of Odontogenic Infections
Orofacial infections can spread rapidly to involve deeper spaces leading to significant morbidly. Pyrexia with dysphagia, dyspnoea, and warning signs of spreading infections. Dental surgeons should be able to recognize these infections early, initiate appropriate treatment and whenever necessary refer them to the Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons for definitive management.
Treatment must focus on airway control with adequate fluid resuscitation, optimization of pre-existing medical conditions prior to removal of the source of infection with drainage of pus. Early admission, incision & drainage with iv antibiotics therapy is of utmost importance.
Empirical antibiotics with a combination of Amoxicillin and metronidazole usually covers the polymicrobial nature of most odontogenic infections. Therapeutic antibiotics can be initiated after the culture and sensitivity of the purulent discharge.
Prompt I&D provides for early decompression and improves tissue oxygenation. The incision is placed at the most dependant part of the fluctuant area but in the region of the healthy skin ...
... or mucosa. Whenever extra oral drainage is desirable, an incision is placed in the natural skin creases or under the shadow of the jaw to void an unesthetic scar.
Drains such as corrugated rubber drains or Penrose or gauze dressing are secured in place with sutures and left in situ, to be removed at a later time when the drainage becomes minimal. The dressings must be changed at regular intervals under sterile conditions to prevent ascending infections from the drainage sites.
Santosh Dental College and hospital provides for good infrastructure with competent care and serves as a tertiary referral center for management of these
Education Articles1. Want To Make A Career In Animation? Here Are Some Top Job Roles
Author: MAAC India
2. Should You Opt For Engineering Degree Or Diploma?
3. What Is An Ethical Hacking ? How To Become An Ethical Hacker
Author: Prasanjit Roy
4. Why Self-grooming Is Important In The Aviation Industry
Author: Aptech Gariahat
5. 7 Things To Know Before Choosing The Best Fashion Design College
6. Develop Your Creative Thinking And Innovation Skills For The Betterment Of An Organisation
Author: Pankaj Deshpande
7. Top 5 Management Institutes In Germany
Author: Storm Overseas
8. Advance & Vision Driving Schools Waterloo, New South Wales
9. Why Does Mathematics Have Unpleasant Memories For Many Adults?
Author: Satjit kumar
10. Reasons To Study Mbbs In Kazakhstan For Indian Students
Author: Twinkle InstituteAB
11. Vidya Chetana - An Ngo Working For Education Of The Underprivileged
Author: vidya chetana
12. 5 Benefits Of Hiring A Professional Cdr Australia Writer
Author: 5 Benefits of Hiring a Professional CDR Australia
13. National Institute Of Technology, Surathkal | Nit Surathkal Courses
14. Oracle Fusion Technical Online Training | Oracle Fusion Technical Course | Hyderabad
Author: Rainbow Training Institute
15. Interesting Food Facts That Every Hotel Management Trainee Must Know
Author: Rohit Dubey