ALL >> Writing >> View Article
Gandhi Peace Prize
Gandhi Peace Prize is also known as The International Gandhi Peace Prize. It is named after the Father of Nation of India i.e. Mahatma Gandhi and this peace prize is given annually by the Government of India.
Gandhi Peace Prize established in 1995 at that time the P.M. of India was P. V. Narasimha Rao and the President of India was Shankar Dayal Sharma.
This award was launched on the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
The award is given to individuals or institutions for their contribution to social, economic, and political change through non-violence and other Gandhi Ji methods.
The award prize is 1 Crore rupees (10 million) in cash.
The jury members for this award are the Prime Minister of India, The Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, The Chief Justice of India, Speaker of the Lok Sabha, and other eminent persons who decide the winner for this award.
Awarded for Contributions in social, economic, and political change through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
• Gandhi Peace Prize given by the Government of India
• Prize Money 1 Crore (10 million)
• First award in 1995
• Recent award 2018
• Total awarded 17
• First Gandhi Peace Prize winner was Julius Nyerere
• Recent Gandhi Peace Prize winner is Yohei Sasakawa
Some Important Recipients of the International Gandhi Peace Prize.
First Winners of this award
Recipient Country Year
Julius Nyerere (First recipient) from Tanzania, in 1995.
Julius Kambarage Nyerere was a Tanzanian politician who served as the leader of Tanzania, and previously Tanganyika, from 1960 until his retirement in 1985.
A.T. Ariyaratne (Second recipient), from Sri Lanka, in 1996, Founder of Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement.
Gerhard Fischer (Third recipient) from Germany, in 1997 German diplomat, recognized for his work against leprosy and polio.
Ramakrishna Mission (First Indian Organization to receive this award), from India, in 1998
Founded by Swami Vivekananda for promoting social welfare, tolerance, and non-violence among disadvantaged groups.
Baba Amte from India, in 1999 Social worker, known particularly for his work for the rehabilitation and empowerment of poor people suffering from leprosy.
Nelson Mandela from South Africa, in 2000 Former President of South Africa.
Grameen Bank from Bangladesh, in 2000 Founded by Muhammad Yunus.
John Hume from the United Kingdom, in 2001 Northern Irish Politician
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan from India in 2002. Educational trust that emphasizes Indian culture
Vaclav Havel from the Czech Republic in 2003. Last President of Czechoslovakia and first President of the Czech Republic
Coretta Scott King from the United States in 2004. Activist and civil rights leader.
Desmond Tutu from South Africa in 2005 . He was a South African cleric and activist
Chandi Prasad Bhatt from India in 2013. He was Environmentalist, social activist, and pioneer of the Chipko movement. Founded Dasholi Gram Swarajya Sangh (DGSS)
ISRO from India in 2014. Space agency of the Indian Govt.
2018 Gandhi Peace Prize
Recipient Yohei Sasakawa
For his contribution to Leprosy Eradication in India and across the world.
2017 Gandhi Peace Prize
Recipient Ekal Abhiyan
For Contribution in providing Education for Rural and Tribal Children in remote areas pan India, Rural Empowerment, Gender, and Social Equality.
2016 Gandhi Peace Prize
Recipients Akshaya Patra Foundation
For A non-profit organization in India that runs mid-day meals program across India
2016 Gandhi Peace Prize
Recipients Sulabh International
It is a social service organization that works to promote human rights, environmental sanitation, non-conventional sources of energy, waste management, and social reforms through education.
2015 Gandhi Peace Prize
Recipient Vivekananda Kendra
For Rural Development and Education sector
thank you, everyone, you may also check our latest post on our website Blogstagger.
Writing Articles1. Ethics Of Testing And Research Of Manufactured Organs - Pubrica
2. Here Are Some Of The Journal /article Reading Tips!
Author: Roy Hudson
3. 6 Easy Steps To Write Engineering Assignments
Author: Allen Lisa
4. Classification Of Mediation Analysis Methodology In Clinical Research – Pubrica
5. How Can Females Earn Money Online?
Author: Glossy Musings
6. Writing A Public Health Research Grant Proposal ; Role Of Scientific Experts - Pubrica
7. What Are The Guidelines To Write A Biomedical Literature Review For A Manuscript? - Pubrica
8. A Complete Manual On Purpose And Importance Of Argumentative Essay Writing
Author: Charles Jack
9. How To Plan And Write A Research Proposal : Cancer Research Writing - Pubrica
10. How To Write A Perfect Blog Post In 3 Steps..?
Author: Tanishq Thakur
11. How To Outsource My Essay Work?
Author: James Davis
12. 4 Helpful Uteps For Writing Extraordinary Descriptive Essays
Author: Steve Charles
13. Do’s And Don’ts In Writing A Scientific Literature Review For Health Care Research- Pubrica
14. Tricks To Ace Writing Of A Research Paper
Author: Roy Hudson
15. Things To Avoid When Writing Murder Mystery Books
Author: JB Clemmens