ALL >> Legal >> View Article
Wrong House Raids In Chicago
The Effects of Wrong House Raids in Chicago
Multiple wrong house police raids in Chicago have resulted in a number of civil lawsuits against the Chicago Police Department and the City. Plaintiffs allege that victims, including children and elderly people, have been handcuffed, had guns pointed at their heads, been made to stand outside in the cold without adequate clothing, and had their homes ravaged despite their claims that officers had the wrong house. In some cases, SWAT teams have even set off flash grenades. In similar instances with other police departments across the nation, wrong house raid victims have lost their lives.
These events have occurred due to "swatting" by disgruntled friends, family, or strangers, investigations that misidentified houses as "drug dens," brothels, places of illegal gun possession by a resident, and outdated police records.
Wrongful Death Claims Against Police Departments
Unlike claims against private citizens, wrongful death claims against the city or police departments are usually filed in federal courts because civil rights violations are generally involved. In such cases, it is imperative to establish a clear violation of the individual's constitutional rights. Examples of such violations would include an excessive use of force and denial of medical care.
Most law enforcement agencies will fight lawsuits rather than settle out of court. Plaintiffs will need to be prepared to back up their claims with evidence like photos, footage from police body cameras, and witness statements. Often, city agencies and police departments will argue they have qualified immunity from such suits. However, this defense is not foolproof and there are ways to establish that the law enforcement agency and its officers are liable for their actions.
Plaintiffs can pursue claims in state courts for personal injuries, emotional trauma, and property damage when they argue that the officer(s) acted in a negligent manner or with malicious intent.
Legal Articles1. United Stand By Caronavirus Attorney Anaheim
Author: The Morris Law Group
2. Duration Of The Property Rental Agreement
Author: Raj Kumar
3. Know About Party Wall Act Uk- Implications For All Parties
Author: David Frank
4. Why Hire An Employees Compensation Attorney?
5. Hire A Workers Compensation Lawyer And Let Them Protected Your Benefits
6. When You Should Think About A Workers Comp Lawyer Lexington Ky
7. Choosing The Workers Compensation Attorney
8. Problems With Your Claim? Hire A Workers Workers Compensation Attorney Lexington Ky
9. Real Estate Investors Are Avoiding Chicago. Here’s Why
Author: The Law Offices of Scott D. Rogoff, P.C.
10. The Reasons To Hire A Criminal Defense Lawyer
11. All About Worth Of An Affordable Divorce Attorney
Author: Tim Scott
12. Points To Consider With Diligence To Reach The Best Divorce Lawyer
Author: Marcus McGowan
13. Types Of Sports-related Injuries
Author: Hendy Johnson
14. The Roles And Responsibilities Of A Probate Executor
Author: T. Owen Rassman
15. Bankruptcy Lawyers– Important Questions To Ask While Hiring
Author: Marcus McGowan