ALL >> Business >> View Article
Minimizing Mother Tongue Influence In English Speaking
Mother tongue influence or MTI means the impact of the way your first language is spoken on the second language you are trying to learn. For us, it means effect of our mother tongue on the way we speak English. So, when you see someone speaking English with a heavy Bengali or Punjabi or Telugu accent, you know the person has an MTI problem.
Why does MTI Happen?
If till an advanced age, the only language we speak is our mother tongue, a lot of the speech patterns get set really hard in our brain. Every language as its own specific way words are pronounced.
Each language has peculiar sounds specific to it. If we start speaking more than one language from early childhood, we easily retain the flexibility of uttering sounds from different language systems. Our brain can be easily trained for different sounds from different languages. But if we do not receive that training in our childhood, our brains get accustomed to the sounds on only one language and at a later stage it becomes pretty difficult to train the brain for a totally different sound system needed for the second language.
Essentially, bilingual ...
... kids do not face the MTI problem in general because their brains have been trained in the flexibility of two or more language systems and they are able to easily speak two languages without errors.
It is believed that MTI is a training problem. A student's brain and vocal system have been trained in a certain way that makes it difficult for him to suddenly open himself to a totally different set of sounds and words. The habits and speech patterns are rooted strongly in the learner’s mind and it takes sustained effort to remove the MTI problem.
The students are required to practice speaking the new sounds that first makes them comfortable with the new sounds and then habituates them. Continuous repeated practice breaks old set patterns and builds new sound and speech patterns plus trains the brain in the flexibility required to handle two parallel sound and speech systems.
Can I Solve MTI on my Own?
Theoretically yes but the probabilities will be very low. The habit and speech patterns are so intrinsic and natural to you that most of the times you would not realize some crumbs of the MTI problem in your English speaking. You need someone to point out whenever you are slipping down that road. Changing something as ingrained as native language speech patterns is an extremely difficult task simply because it is a very old habit strongly solidified. You are inclined to fall back on to your default speech patterns again and again. You need someone to point it out every time and force you to not slip back to your original speech patterns.
Can MTI ever be solved?
MTI is solvable but an extremely complex problem. It needs strong commitment and intense effort for 4-6 weeks. Once you carry the new speech patterns and get used to them, slowly, those sounds will become a part of your system. Once the new habit starts taking root, the amount of effort required will reduce and once it is solidified enough, the effort required is very minimal...
For more info https://voiceskills.org/
VOICE Research and Training Institute is the brain child of KALVI Higher Education and Research Institute, Madurai, South India with the expertise and knowledge to empower learners in the communicative skills of the English Language running through the Industrial Hub of a community that influences a country at large.
Business Articles1. Everything You Need To Know To About Heavy-duty Floor Mats La
Author: eps america
2. Why Credit Repair Fort Lauderdale Is Important To Keep Up In Life?
Author: New Generational Wealth Solutions
3. Ad Serving Strategies For A High Inflation Environment (part 2)
Author: Watson F
4. Insoluble Dietary Fiber Is Expected To Remain The Largest Segment In The Global Dietary Fiber Market
Author: Lucintel LLC
5. Olive Swan, The Feminine Princess, Releases Her 37th Book, Feminine Rhythm
6. The Difference Between Confetti Socks And Winged Socks
Author: Tanja Filipovska
7. Importance Of Hi-vis Vests For Construction Workers
Author: industrial safety gear
8. Sales Of Evaporative Condensing Unit To Hit 1.61 Billion Usd By 2026; Covid-19 Pandemic Unlocks New Opportunities, Opines A Mnm Study
Author: Jack Martin
9. Lucintel Forecasts Connected Truck Market To Grow At A Cagr Of 15% From 2019 To 2024
Author: Lucintel LLC
10. Route 32 Auctions' Country Store & More Auction, May 20-21, Will Be Online And In Crawfordsville, In
Author: Tiffany Cosby
11. The Leading Industries And Suppliers In Construction Chemical Solutions
12. Guide On Mental Math And Its Importance
Author: Satjit kumar
13. 12 Ways To Effectively Promote A New Product Or Service - Ossisto
14. Automotive Turbochargers Sector Analysis
15. Canadian Mint Silver & Gold Coins | Bold Precious Metals
Author: BOLD Precious Metals