ALL >> General >> View Article
Lean Into Small Parent Turnout! Starting Where You Are With Parent Engagement
Because instead of dealing with the opportunity and assets in front of them, many organizations try to leapfrog where they are so they can get to great. Schools and districts are no different.
Principals probably see this concept most centrally when they hire teachers. Many a principal regrets a good teacher they passed on in November because they saw visions of a great teacher dancing in their eyes – a teacher that never came to fruition. By June they have to make due with a passable teacher.
Sometimes schools and districts risk falling into the same trap with parent engagement. There are plenty of barriers to maximizing parent engagement – bad (or changing) phone numbers, outdated student information systems, busy families, racial, linguistic and socioeconomic lines of difference, etc. And yet, to get great at engaging parents – you have to start with good – or with whatever you’ve got.
That’s right. You may only have correct contact information for 40% of your families. You may only have 5 or 10 parents who show up to events. Your most engaged parents may be the ones who show up again and again. You may not even know why you want to engage parents. And yet, start there. Make sure those 5 parents feel valued, heard, and important. Sure enough they’ll become your biggest advocates – and they’ll bring friends – and those friends will bring friends. It’s how underdogs win political campaigns, how Facebook becomes Facebook, how the Ice Bucket Challenge (or the Keke Challenge) grows, how movements happen. A small group becomes a bigger group becomes viral becomes a part of the fabric of life.
Good to Great in Action
We got to see this in action just this week! We’re lucky to now have schools in their second year of partnership with Possip – so we can compare data year to year. And our schools are seeing parent response rates that are 5-10x of what they were just one year ago. They are seeing parent attendance at meetings both grow in number and diversity.
Those schools started where they were. They didn’t let good be the enemy of great. Maybe just 12 parents responded to last year’s Possip surveys. This year they have 80 parents responding. Maybe just 8 parents came to their PTO meeting. This year they have 30 parents.
So instead of focusing on what you don’t have or who you don’t have – focus on who you do. Start there. And let that transform the future.
Want to learn more about starting where you are to build a strong parent-school community? Email us at email@example.com.
Possip Gives Parents a voice to build stronger relationships with their child’s school through sharing praise and feedback
General Articles1. Boarding School In Mumbai - Mit Vishwashanti Gurukul
Author: MIT Vishwashanti Gurukul
2. Ich Entdeckte Auch Mein 1972 Moms Brautkleid
3. 3 Simple Ways To Keep Your Online Presence Away From The Gutter
Author: jaxxes parker
4. 7 Business Rules Of Ratan Tata
5. Lakshmi Mittal Proved His Principal Was Wrong
6. Black Granite The Black Beauty For Modern Interior Exterior Designing Ideas
Author: Neerav Jain
7. Best Astrologer In Dallas | Indian Astrologers In Dallas | Astrologer Dallas
Author: Pandit Manjunath
8. New Video Song Status For Whatsapp - Download Status Video For Iphone App
9. Pmma Microparticles Are Used For The Applications Like Optics And Biomedical Research!
Author: Kelly Clifford
10. Madden 20: How To Deal With Midfield Pack
11. The Issue With Maplestory M Mesos
Author: Maplestory M Mesos
12. Masala Tea Is The Wonder Tea In India
Author: Shruti Sharma
13. Empty Capsule Market Is Expected To Witness Rapid Expansion By The End Of 2026
14. Sonia Rodriguez – Defeating Defense Medical Experts
Author: Sonia Rodriguez and Michael Cowen
15. The Eminent Ways Of Gutter Installation To Consider
Author: Nancy Smith