ALL >> Furniture >> View Article
Features Of Modern Architecture
In the beginning of the 20th century, famous architects felt the need to reinvent the industry and make it as modern as possible, something that represented the spirit of the new age.
They used modern building materials and new technology, functional planning, minimal ornamentation and believed that form should follow function. Modern architecture is based on the concept of clean, simple lines, basic shapes, and forms. These features have become abundantly clear with the rise of skyscrapers. The pioneers of modern architecture were Le Corbusier in France, Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe and Walter Gropius in Germany, Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, Oscar Niemeyer, Alvar Alto who combined traditional architecture styles with modern technology and solutions to form what we call today modern architecture.
Modern architecture refers to a large group of similar buildings that emerged in many countries between the 1920s and the 1950s, and became dominant post World War 2, until it was gradually replaced by postmodern architecture. In architecture features of a building are classified based on visual appearance, historic period, structure, and materials.
This new style of architecture first showed up in Europe and then spread to America.
Bauhaus, a German school of art and architecture made a huge impact on modern styles, like the ‘less is more’ principle. During the Nazi occupation the Bauhaus relocated to the US and hence their influence travelled to the Americas and became the International Style.
The basic characteristics of modern architecture are:
1. Minimal ornamentation: Intricate moldings, ornaments, thick fabrics gave way to clean lines with simple, well executed joints.
2. Clean lines: If you look at architecture firms near you, they will always suggest clean lines, and box shapes for the design of a building. Materials are always used in defined rectangular; box shapes and vertical forms are juxtaposed against horizontal forms to create a dramatic effect. Modern architecture is based on abstraction, which is created by linear elements, geometric shapes and forms.
3. Flat roofs, low massing: Modern buildings are made to appear as natural as possible, they appear to hug the ground does not contrast it.
4. Modern building materials: Concrete, steel and glass are now used as materials to build skyscrapers. Due to a space crunch, especially in the city most of the buildings nowadays are high rises. Concrete is used as a finishing material, steel columns in applications, concrete floors stained and exposed.
5. Using traditional materials in new ways: Materials like brick and stone which are considered traditional, are used in simplified ways to lend it a modern aesthetic.
6. Use of glass: Glass is generously used in corporate buildings. Floor to ceiling glass windows are used to let in natural light also. These huge windows lend a dramatic feel to any office and have great views.
7. Use of shading: Low overhangs and openings provide shading to an apartment to keep it cool in the summer. Many architects near you may use this method, considering India’s warm weather.
Furniture Articles1. Choosing Kitchen Cabinets Where To Start & What To Know.
2. Importance Of Interior Designing In A Dining Room
Author: Frankie Carle
3. When And How To Hire A Furniture Refinisher?
Author: Dan Oldejans
4. Benefits Of Study Table Within Every Home
Author: ashish trikha
5. W. Atelier Ventures Outdoors With Finely-crafted Teak Furniture From Gloster
Author: W. Atelier
6. Getting A Properly Designed And Well-equipped Living Room Is Important
Author: Frankie Carle
7. Reupholster Or Repair – Ask The Experts
Author: sofa master
8. Sofa Reupholstery Services.
Author: sofa master
9. Fitted Bedrooms | Fitted Furniture | Loft Wordrobes | Fitted Wordrobes Uk
Author: Beautiful Bedrooms
10. The Importance Of Having Slim But Sturdy Windows
Author: Geeta Aluminium
11. How To Tap Into Your Inner Interior Designer
Author: Ashley Furniture Homestore
12. Modular Wardrobe
Author: seelam sridhar
13. Buy Butterfly Chair From A Reputed Online Shopping Portal
14. Choosing The Sliding Slim Windows In Specific City
15. Top 5 Tips For Balcony Garden Decor Ideas & Tips