ALL >> Travel >> View Article
The Famous Hindu Temples And Shrines Of Kerala
The state of Kerala is fast becoming a popular destination of “spiritual tourism”. Besides its lush green natural beauty, the famous backwaters, Kerala is also a home to gothic churches, revered temples, famous mosques and Gurudwara. Kerala is rich with spiritualism, traditions and rituals. Pilgrimage Tour packages in Kerala offers plenty in terms of spiritual enlightenment. It is as if God is everywhere in Kerala.
Some important facts about ancient pilgrim centres of Kerala:
• St Francis church in Kochi is the oldest European Church in India and the body of Vasco Da Gama was buried here, before sending it to Portugal.
• The Janardhana Swami Temple in Varkala is more than 2000 years old.
• The Padmanabhaswamy Temple in Thiruvanthapuram is the richest temple in India, with treasures worth 20 billion dollars.
Kerala is blessed with Hindu temples and shrines dating back to several thousand years, mostly reflecting Dravidian history and architecture and also showcasing the opulent archaeology of the Chalukya, Cholas, Pandavas and other dynasties.
SREE PADMANABHASWAMY TEMPLE
This temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The architecture of this temple is exquisitely Dravidian, ornamental and attractive. The idol of Lord Vishnu in this temple is in reclining position on Anantha, the large hooded serpent. The main idol is 18 feet long and devotees and sees it through three different doors. The architecture of the temple is embellished with bronze; the stone made architectures are also marvellous. The flag post is 80 feet high, covered with gold plated copper sheets. The two halls are adorned with fascinating sculptures. There is a strict dress code for temple visitors. Many devotees visit the temple every day, as it one of the 108 sacred Vishnu Temples in the country. The Murjapam (continuous chanting of prayers) festival, is held once every six years. It is must visit destination, and pride of religious tourism in India.
SABARIMALA SREE AYAPPA TEMPLE
This temple is situated high above the sea – level on the SabarI hills of the Western Ghats ranges. The pilgrims need to walk around 4 km, to reach the shrine and seek blessings of the boy God, Lord Agape. This temple is a great example of religious harmony and Vavar Thara epitomises it. The saying goes that Vavar is a Sufi Saint a friend of Lord Ayappa which explains the presence of the sub - deity, Vavar. Pilgrims of any religion can visit the temple and they address each other as Swami or Ayappa. Women between the age group of 10 – 50 years are not allowed in the temple. Devotees, who wish to visit the temple, need to go strict fasting for 41 days. Millions of devotees visit this temple every year during Mandalakam (November – January).
JANARDHANA SWAMY TEMPLE
It is one of the ancient temples in India, known for its grand architecture. Situated close to the sea overlooking Papanasam beach adds to its ambience. Right at the exterior front of the temple you will find painted idols of Hanuman, Lord Shiva and Garuda. The main shrine of the temple Lord Shiva has four arms, holding Shangu, Chakra, Gada and Kumbham. The mandapa of the temple is square in shape and the wooden ceiling has carvings of Navagraha. The circular sanctum is enclosed by a conical dome of copper sheets. Pilgrims here, also perform the final rites of the deceased.
Travel Articles1. Thornton Heath To Or From London Airports | Cabhoo Minicabs - Croydon | 020-8686-4545.
2. What Are The Things We Need To Consider While Doing Everest Base Camp Trek?
Author: Nepal Highland Treks
3. An Overview Of The Same Day Taj Mahal Tour From Delhi
Author: Siddharth Acharya
4. Klm Airlines Cancellation Policy
5. Looking For The Right Event Manpower Agency? Call Us Today
Author: Abct Ksa
6. How To Book A Hotel Yourself - A Complete Guide
Author: Ryan Cormier
7. Heathrow Taxi London Is Most Convenient Taxi At London Airports
8. Some Of The Airport Formalities Post Landing In Australia
Author: Neha Dixit
9. Signs Of Travel Addiction In Global Travelers
Author: Manoj Upadhyay
10. Hire Leicester Taxi For Making Timely Airport Transportation With Comfort
Author: jack barbosa
11. Everest Taxi Is Cheapest Taxi Service Provider In Leicester
Author: jack barbosa
12. Benefits Of Luxury Chauffeur Car While Travelling In London
13. Ecotourism As An Environmental Development Program
Author: Jenny Tervo
14. Public Transport Ban In Most Indian Cities Due To Corona
Author: BK Vijay
15. Fulfill Your Dream Of Trekking Mount Everest With Helicopter Tour Option
Author: Nepal Helicopters