ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
Going On Holiday? How To Keep Your Home Safe & Secure
Total Articles: 1
Are you excited about going on holiday? Do you have a list of things to do that includes packing, buying currency, getting travel insurance, booking an airport car park space and making sure you have packed your passport?
Have you thought about the home that you are leaving? Will it be safe and secure whilst you are away?
Here are our top 10 tips for keeping your home safe while on holiday:
1. Leave your curtains open or closed?
Many people have the strong belief that you should close your curtains when you are away so that a burglar cannot see in. However, this is a key sign for burglars that you are out especially when they can see the curtains closed during the day. Once they break into your home, they can take their time moving around looking for your valuables as no-one can see them.
2. Be careful about who you tell about your upcoming exciting holiday!
It is exciting going on holiday and you probably want to tell everyone but be careful who is listening. You can trust your close friends and family and it is wise to tell your neighbours, however, if you tell everyone in your local shop you don’t know who may be listening.
Ensure that if you mention your holiday on social media you either wait until you get back or only post on private groups.
Some people are also tempted to update their answerphone message to say that they are on holiday and when they will return but remember it is not just your friends that may phone your number.
3. Hide your valuables
We advised you to keep your curtains open so don’t leave any valuables such as expensive jewellery near a window. This is good advice even when you are not away but especially important if you are on holiday.
Distribute your valuables around your house and don’t just hide all your best jewellery in your sock drawer as this is an obvious hiding place for burglars. Leave some cheap jewellery or some money in an obvious place so that if the worst does happen, hopefully, the burglars will grab that and run.
Breaking into houses to get car keys for valuable cars is very common nowadays. If your car will be left sitting in the drive the whole time you are away it may be worthwhile leaving the keys with a friend or neighbour.
By now you will have your travel insurance sorted but have you checked your house insurance? Are you covered if you are away for more than 14 days? Are there any exclusions eg are you insured if someone else stays in your home whilst you are away?
5. Tidy your garden
If you are going away during the summer months when grass and weeds grow quickly, it won’t take long for your home to look like the house may be vacant. Before you go cut the grass, tidy the borders and ensure any tools are locked safely in a shed or garage.
6. Cancel deliveries
Cancel any regular deliveries such as milk or newspapers. Don’t be tempted by online shopping the week before you go on holiday unless you are certain your goods will be delivered on time. The last thing you want is your goods being left in normally safe places around your house like your back door, greenhouse or bin.
To make your home look occupied, invest in a light on a timer switch that will come on for a few hours in the evening. Light up a room that you normally use in the evening. Some people are inclined to set the hall light to come on or a table lamp near a window. These are both quite obvious to a burglar.
If you have an alarm ensure it is in good working order. If you don’t, we recommend installing a burglar alarm system as this is a great deterrent. We can visit your home and provide a free quote for a new alarm system and/or CCTV. We will also point out any other home security risks that we can see.
8. Kind neighbours
If you are going to be away for more than a week, it is a good idea to ask a trusted neighbour to pop into your home a few times to remove mail from the front door and to water your plants. Wilting flowers and piles of post are other giveaways to burglars that you are not at home.
If your neighbour has a couple of cars and you are taking yours away, you could ask them to park in your drive sometimes.
9. Early morning start
If you are leaving early in the morning to catch a flight or ferry, please don’t be tempted to pack your car with your luggage the night before. It may make it easier and quicker in the morning but it is a clear sign to anybody walking by that you are going away.
10. Final checks
The last checks you need to do before you head off for a great holiday are:
* Are all windows locked?
* Are all devices switched off?
* Keep your router switched on if your alarm or camera are using an app.
* Close internal doors so that an intruder can’t see right through your house from one window.
* Empty your bins (you don’t want to come back to a smelly house)!
* Switch on your alarm and lock all doors.
Have a fantastic, relaxing holiday!
Director at Safe Simple Secure in Edinburgh.
Home and Garden Articles1. Pesticides For Spider Control In House
Author: Marisn Mackle
2. Air Conditioners - How To Cut Running Costs In Half
Author: Henri Dylan
3. Residential Pool Safety Fence Advantages In Fort Myers, Florida
Author: Fabri Tech
4. How Chilliwack Painters And Decorators Can Help In Resell Your Home
Author: Sam Philippe
5. Wall Tiles And The Variety That They Come In
Author: Maheshwari Impex
6. Step By Step Instructions To Find An Expert House Painter Abbotsford
Author: Olivia William
7. Why Landscape Design Mosman Is Definitely A Sophisticated Art Form?
Author: Sean Martin
8. 4 Signs You Need To Repair Your Air Conditioning: Wangara Expert Advice
9. 4 Reasons Why Hiring The Right Service Provider For Concreting Purpose Is Very Important
Author: Michael Gilmore
10. Know The Prerequisite Steps To Put Forth The Planning Applications
Author: Garry Stacks
11. How To Ensure Your Building’s Safety With The Assistance Of Professional Technicians
Author: Anthony Crummer
12. Landscape Design Calgary And Installation The Best You Need In Your Home
13. 5 Best Ways To Maintain Furniture Decors With Natural And Advanced Solutions
Author: Lilian Facy
14. Give Your Sleep An Extra Comfort With Organic Latex Mattresses
Author: Ahmed Ali
15. How To Spruce Up The Appearance Of Your Building Exterior With Elegant Stone Walls
Author: Daniel Maxted