ALL >> Health >> View Article
Want To Prevent Type 2 Diabetes, Avoid Sugary Drinks
Total Articles: 27
An international study done by ANU has strengthened the global campaign for a sugar tax, finding thousands of cases of type 2 diabetes could be prohibited if people stopped drinking sugary drinks every day. These results come from the Thai Cohort Study, which was carried out from 2005 to 2013, which included a nation-wide sample of nearly 40,000 adults.
The research team had used a new statistical technique that called mediation analysis to find out can sugary drink consumption increased the risk of type 2 diabetes also increased, independently of obesity and weight gain. Keren Papier lead author from ANU said type 2 diabetes killed millions of people globally per year and evidences from around the globe showed that a reduction in sugary drink consumption would reduce rates of type 2 diabetes. Ms Papier, a PhD candidate from the ANU Research School of Population Health said that a reduction in sugary drink consumption is likely reducing the rates of diabetes in Australia.
Several countries including USA, Mexico, France and Chile have already started acting on sugary drinks by imposing or committing to a sugar tax. Findings from the US and Mexico show that applying the tax has led to a 17 and 21 percent decrease, respectively in the purchase of taxed beverages among low-income households. The tax has raised over USD 2.6 billion in Mexico.
“Sugary drinks are an ideal target for public health interventions to help control the type 2 diabetes epidemic since they don’t poses any nutritional value and do not protect against disease,” Ms Papier added. Over 4,000 cases of type 2 diabetes could be prevented annually in the Thailand if people avoided drinking sugary drinks daily. Mainly Thai women, who are at double the risk of type 2 diabetes from drinking sugary drinks, would be the main beneficiaries.
Between 1983 to 2009, study found that the average Thai person’s sugar intake jumped from 13kg to 31kg per year. Ms Papier said research in several rich countries had shown that women globally were at higher risk of type 2 diabetes from drinking soft drinks. Women are more sensitive because they generally have lower muscle mass and energy needs compared with men.
ANU conducted the study with QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute and the Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University in Thailand. This is part of a larger study of the health-risk transition to chronic disease underway in the middle-income countries and the information from the Thailand is leading to a better understanding of multi-level forces driving the process worldwide.
Insights care is a Best Healthcare Magazine in the world. Which provides Online Healthcare news & updates. It is Journal of Healthcare Industry & Companies. We provide the latest monthly healthcare News, Magazines and solutions by the medium of Online Digital & Print healthcare Magazine.
Health Articles1. When To Consult An Infertility Specialist?
Author: Akanksha Hospital
2. Productive Prostatectomy Surgery With Dr. Jagdish Kulkarni, Best Uro Oncologist, India
Author: Lisa Resnick
3. Hair Transplant Is The Right Solution For You?
Author: Hair Transplant Bangalore
4. Ayurvedic Medicine For Detoxification | Contract Manufacturing |herbalhills
5. Avastin Injection Supplier – Ocean Pharmaceutical
Author: Ocean Pharma
6. Choose The Best Nutrition Program To Achieve Your Fitness Goal
Author: Fit with Sylvia
7. What To Look For When Hiring The Professional Nutrition Advisor
Author: Fit with Sylvia
8. Sleeping Problems: Know Sleep Apnea Causes And Treatment
9. What Are The Risk Factor A Pcos Pregnancy Loss?
Author: Rakshit Agrawal
10. Dealing With Social Anxiety – Do You Need A Social Anxiety Counseling From A Renowned Therapist?
Author: Marci Stiles
11. How To Take Chia Seeds For Weight Loss
Author: Anita kapoor
12. Features And Benefits Of Neurontin (gabapentin) 400mg & 800mg
Author: Features and Benefits of Neurontin (Gabapentin) 40
13. Adjustable Bed Vs. Regular Bed: Which Suits For Your Health?
Author: Zero-G Beds
14. What You Need To Know About The Different Orthodontic Treatments
Author: Steven Tyler
15. Colon Hydrotherapy/colonic Irrigation In Udaipur, Rajasthan
Author: Dr. Arpit Choudhary