ALL >> Computer-Programming >> View Article
Date Criteria May Not Always Work With Ms Access Query
Learning about ms access query is the means to a good database management system as it is the heart of any database application.
There are many ways and questions to ask a database using queries and mastering the
special conventions and criteria will pay the dividend and avoid silly mistakes, the illogical recordset results, and even errors.
One of the more commonly used criteria and prone to errors (if misunderstood) is the date/time data type and its conventions.
Take a look at the ms access query below-showing orders before the year 2016 and the intend
of the query which suggested a date range from 1st January 2016 to 31st December 2016.
The criterion for the above shows >=#01/01/2016 < #31/12/2016# which will not actually return the correct range and instead show what’s known as logical errors (dates outside the range).
It’s missing the ‘And’ operator and better still adding the ‘Between’ hand will capture the correct range too. The # (hash sign) is the exact convention and good check to ensure it’s the right data type too (date/time in this case).
A revised example is shown below:
If the field is a actual date/time data type, you do not need to enter the # (hash sign) as it will automatically fill this in for you when moving the cursor elsewhere in the restrain (another convention checker for you).
If however, you see double-quotes (“ “) wrapped around the date expression, this suggests either you have chosen the wrong field or the date field is actually a text data type and it will simply not work as expected.
One final point to consider and even check for you ms access query database and those
queries are the regional setting of the operating system you are using. UK versus USA setting often throws up confusion and inaccuracies to so ensure you are using the correct date/time formats.
MS Access query is very powerful indeed and there are many permutations available – take
a look at my eBook Microsoft Access 2016 Database Queries.
Do you need for eBook relating to Access Database?
Here, you can check : https://accessdatabasetutorial.com/ebooks/
My name is Ben Beitler (based in London, UK) and I have been building, consulting & training with Microsoft Access databases for over 20 years.
Computer Programming Articles1. Waste Mangement Systems
Author: my full name
2. Which Company Develop The Android App Development Company In India ?
Author: Omega Softwares
3. 5 Key Benefits Of Cloud Computing In Healthcare Industry
Author: Ashok Desai
4. How To Engage Users With A Good Website?
Author: Jack Oram
5. Recover Deleted Files From Android Phone
Author: Shubhra Seth
6. Advantages Provided By The Global Edge Computing Market
Author: Andrew Thomas
7. Want To Work In The Best It Company In Surat?
Author: Alpesh Vaghasiya
8. The Key Advantages Of Software Management System Software
Author: Satish Yadav
9. Namaste Technology
Author: namaste technology
10. Wordpress Dot Com Vs Wordpress Dot Org-the Right Choice For You
11. Graphics Design Company, Software Company, Software Development Company, Mobile Apps Development Com
Author: Gen Tech
12. What Things To Look For In A Web Designing Company?
13. Dark Mode Buzz And What Can You Do With It In Your App - Pocket Apps
14. Important Role Of Laptop Chargers Behind The Proper Functioning Of A Laptop
Author: Charlie Puth
15. How To Print & Share From Photos For Ios Device?