ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
Soap Scum Clean
Soap scum is the nemesis of many a bathroom cleaner. Endless amounts of products are marketed specifically for the eradication of this specific plague. What is soap scum and why is it so persistent in making our lives miserable? Read on for answers to these questions.
What is soap scum?
Soap scum is a filmy layer that can be white or gray. It can cover many exposed surfaces in your bathroom including shower curtains, bathroom fixtures, tiles, shower doors, etc. Soap scum is formed by the accumulation of minerals in water that combine with soap and dirt to create a scaly layer of scum throughout the bathroom.
Soap scum is sticky and adheres to the surfaces and also catches things that come into its path like hair, dead skin cells, dirt, and body oils. If you have Ã¢â‚¬Å“hard waterÃ¢â‚¬Â- more minerally enriched tap water- you are more likely to get soap scum. Soap scum becomes difficult to remove when left alone for extended periods of time and does build up the more the area is used. It can also combine with other molds and mildews to further discolor your bathroom. Soap scum should be effectively managed so that it does not permanently damage or endanger your bathroom. Soap scum is also known as limescale.
How do you get rid of soap scum?
The best way is to take preventative measures against soap scum. It is much easier to prevent than to scrub away. If you wipe down tubs, shower areas and sinks at least once a week you are going a long way to prevent soap scum buildup. The warmth and humidity of the bathroom just after showering or bathing aid in the easier removal of soap scum. Try adding vinegar, detergent or ammonia to your weekly wipe down to add more power to your prevention.
If you have it already, how do you go about getting rid of it? Commercial degreasers are very effective against soap scum. Also try products specifically fabricated for getting rid of soap scum. Baking soda can also help, acting as an abrasive to lift away layers of soap scum. You may also need small brushes like toothbrushes to help reach into small corners where soap scum loves to hide. Brillo pads or wire brushes are also effective tools in scrubbing away the scum. Warmed vinegar or a spray bottle filled with ammonia will help clean the area as much as it prevents soap scum build up. Make sure to use two parts water to every one part cleaner. Also, some have suggested using a wet dryer sheet to remove soap scum. Try these homemade solutions before investing in heavy duty chemicals.
Make sure to be prepared for your battle against soap scum. If using heavy duty cleaners, make sure a window or door is open to improve circulation and ventilation in a small space. Remember to also wear gloves and refrain from touching your eyes so that you do not irritate your skin. If you are well prepared for your battle against soap scum, you are sure to come out victorious.
Home and Garden Articles1. Resolve The Issues In Water Heater System With Professional Support Team
Author: AAA Heating and Plumbing
2. What Are The Top Uses Of Dome Shelters
Author: Quality Domes
3. Way Cool Roofs Can Help You Achieve An Eco-friendly And Sustainable Home
4. Update Your Bathroom Design With Bathroom Splashback In Perth
5. Be Aware Of These Common Mistakes When Buying Air Conditioner!
Author: Air Conditioner Calgary
6. What Are The Important Design Tricks For Interior Renovation In Nyc?
7. How To Hire Professional Pest Control Companies
8. Important Things To Consider Before Choosing Right Curtains As Home Décor
Author: Jitendra Kumar
9. Should You Opt For Tailor-made Furniture Pieces For Your Home?
Author: Noah Flowers
10. Why Plastering The House Is Always A Good Choice?
Author: Cody Dugdale
11. Top Four Qualities Of A Reliable Waterproofing Company!
Author: Harry Forde
12. How To Be Sure Of The Industrial Painting Company That You Want To Work With?
Author: George Babbage
13. When Do You Hire A Demolition Company?
Author: Taj Elisha
14. Tree Selection Is Important In Commercial Landscaping!
Author: Ethan Marian
15. Roof Painting Is A Great Way To Improve The Value Of Your Property!
Author: Tyler Gowlland