ALL >> Parenting-Kids >> View Article
My Parenting Resolutions For 2013
Total Articles: 6
My parenting resolution for 2013
My parenting resolution for 2013 is to shield my children from the love of entertainment. All cartoons and video games are not appropriate for children as they appear. As parents, we have to go beyond each creation that our children enjoy. For instance, if your child plays a certain video game that is contrary to the principles you want your child to learn in life, then that will create conflicting issues down the line. It may seem like a light disagreement now, but it's the little foxes that spoil the vine.
My oldest sons are autistic, and my youngest one doesn't have any disabilities. I could see my boy's eyes light up with glee as they opened their new toys and electronic devices this past Christmas. I do allow them to watch television because I would go crazy being on their stage all the time. However, television, electronic devices, and toys can become a distraction in character development if they become addicted to them. Berk states (2010) "morality does not have a unique course of development. Rather, moral behavior is acquired just like any other set of responses: through reinforcement and modeling" (p.265). Back in my day, it was easier to discern what was for children, and we conducted outdoor activities daily. Times have changed and unfortunately; our children fight wars that we didn't have to when we were younger.
Every Saturday morning my sons wake me up ready to play the Xbox, to play their iPads, and for me to cook breakfast. Their concern showed their initial mental priorities, which was disappointing. Dr. Conrad (2012) wrote:
However, there are some children who play excessively, who refuse to do anything else, and who make gaming the number- one priority in their lives. These children may be addicted to computer games their parents are rightfully worried about this problem (para.4).
To discontinue this type of behavior so it doesn't get to that point; my responses to them have been a list of questions such as: Have you brushed your teeth yet? Have you washed your face? Is your room cleaned? This is my plan to reverse their current thinking pattern. Progress comes from consistency and hopefully I don't slack because they're watching me. Children have to know that work comes before play even on the weekend because they need to understand the importance of responsibility; furthermore that all sources of entertainment don't pertain to real life unless it's educational.
That's my goal, what's your parenting resolution for 2013?
Berk, L. (2010). Development through lifespan (5th ed.). Boston: Ally & Bacon
Conrad, B. (2012). How to help children addicted to video games - a guide for parents.
Retrieved from http://www.techaddiction.ca/children-addicted-to-computer-games.html.
Parenting/Kids Articles1. 7 Maintenance Tips For Your Trampoline
Author: Nathan Crowley
2. Kitten Training Tips For The Beginners
Author: Emma B
3. Personalized School Bags To Add Fun In Your Kids Lives
Author: Aditya Tripathi
4. Mee Mee: Mom Milk Matters World Breastfeeding Week 2016 Celebrations
5. Superfoods- More Than Just Milk …for Babies & Toddlers
6. Important Tips To Consider For Baby Bassinets Rental Services
Author: Stuart Hales
7. Babysitter Maternity Care And Patient Caretaker Services In Noida
Author: Satya prakash
8. Diaper Bags | Babyhaven
9. Baby Travel Gear - Car Seat Mats & Travel Potty | Babyhaven
10. Strollers - Jogging Strollers, Double Strollers & Travel Systems | Babyhaven
11. Baby Playards & Portable Beds | Babyhaven
12. Car Seats - Travel Systems, Infant Car Seats & Booster Seat | Babyhaven
13. Baby Carriers - Front, Back & Hip Carriers | Babyhaven
14. Infant Activity - Activity Gyms, Playmats & Baby Walkers | Babyhaven
15. Choosing The Right Baby Feeding Bottles
Author: Piyush Ranjan