ALL >> Business >> View Article
Will Your Home Insurance Be Void In Case Your Home Is Empty?
This is a rule that many property owners in Alberta would find interesting and useful.
Why because it pertains to the risk that your property is exposed to when you are not living in it.
There could be several instances why you may not be living in your property and it might be empty. For instance, one of your tenants
might have left the property and another tenant might be moving-in soon. It could also be that you own multiple properties, but live in only one; or have a lifestyle
where you live in your different properties at different times, like a migratory bird.
What are the risks involved if your home is empty?
As cited above, whatever might be the reasons for keeping your home empty, most Home Insurance Quotes Calgary will be higher, since the insurance company will find it riskier
to insure your home. The reason is simple – if an incident happens in your home, say a pipe burst, or an electric short-circuit; then it could take several days
before it is detected.
This could cause far more damages than if the damage was detected and rectified right away. Another risk of a house being empty is that
it can be broken into easily by thieves, vandalized and burgled. Secondly, it could be illegally occupied by homeless people.
Home insurance rule related to a home being empty
Looking at the above risks, home insurance companies across most states in Canada insert a clause in the insurance policy that requires
either you, or a person/ agency nominated by you to check in on your property every 48-72 hours. In case this clause is violated, and damages occur while you were
not in your property, then your insurance company is well within it’s rights to reject the claim and void the home insurance policy, even if you have paid all your
premiums on time.
What is an “empty home” in insurance parlance and what are your options?
Technically speaking, an “empty home” in insurance parlance means any home that is unoccupied after more than 48-72
hours. This is considered as short term vacancy. In case the time period increases to 30-60 days, then it is termed as long term vacancy.
Say for instance, you are living in Calgary and expect your home to be vacant for short periods, then you should be checking on it
regularly. In case you live in another city, then you can nominate an agency for this purpose. If this is also not possible, then you should check with your home
insurance broker and seek options for
home insurance quotes Calgary. Below are two options:
- You could buy an add-on that will be added to your existing homeowner policy, if it is available to you.
- You could buy a separate
vacant-home insurance policy, if it is available to you.
Best practices to follow if your house will be vacant for a few days
If you expect your house to be vacant, then it is a good idea to have your relative or friend check it for you every couple of days. Below
are some best practices to follow, when your house is supervised during its period of vacancy:
- Make sure they check every room in the house to ensure everything is fine.
- Bathrooms should be checked to see taps are
working, but closed.
- Heating system is functioning.
- They should collect your mail.
- Perform general maintenance on the house.
- Keeping a log
of inspections can be helpful in case a claim is filed.
The above practices help your relative, or friend spot an issue in the nick of time.
In case you will be away for long
In such an instance, it is best to opt for an add-on, or separate vacant home policy. Details of such a policy will be advised to you by your
home insurance broker.
Always notify your home insurance broker in case you will be away from home for an extended period of time, as some
of them require notifications about extended absences.
For more information about Online Car Insurance
Quotes and Commercial Property Insurance Quote
Alberta Please visit : Beneficial Insurance Solutions.
Business Articles1. How An Investor Made $1 Million From A Retirement Saving Of $35,000
2. How The Covid-19 Pandemic Led To An Increase In Cryptocurrency Scams?
Author: Alex Miller
3. Complex Fertilizers Market To Hit 54.32 Billion Usd By 2022
4. Car Insurance Calgary: Some Basic Pointers To Buy Insurance
Author: Jason Davis
5. How To Prevent Ransomware With Some Simple Tips?
6. Covid-19 Impact On Medical Supplies Market | Increased Demand Of Ppe Kits And N95 Masks Globally
Author: robert henric
7. 8 Things To Know Before Contacting A Website Development Company
Author: Ratnesh sharma
8. Flavor Enhancers Market: Significant Growth Is Observed In The Asia-pacific Region
9. How To Setup Battery Manufacturing Business In India?
10. A Basic Summary Of A Bariatric Post Op Diet
Author: Johnny Kwon
11. Defining Features Of Awg Fire Alarm Cable
Author: Greg Anixter
12. The Future Of Communication - Contactless Near Field Communication (nfc)
Author: NFC Tagify
13. Covid-19 Impact Analyzer For Peptides And Heparin Market Through, Concludes Fact.mr
14. Four Steps For The Perfect Fresh Coat Of Paint
Author: Jrossi Construction
15. Best Astrologer In Mississauga | Famous Indian Astrologer In Mississauga
Author: Pandit Ganapathi