ALL >> Computers >> View Article
How To Secure Your Network To Prevent Unauthorized Access
Accessing an unprotected or incorrectly protected network is easy for the outsiders. This means they can access and steal the data and files shared between the networks too. A network connects several computers together so that each system can access the shared network files. If you also have a home or work network, then leaving it unprotected or incorrectly protected, means leaving your data out in the open. Is your network also unprotected? Is someone stealing and accessing your business or work data? Don’t know? Just do these few things, set up a password, use a security key, enable Firewall protection, and some advanced settings to secure your network and data.
Here is how to do these settings to secure your network and prevent unauthorized access.
Set up the password protection
Check if your network is protected with a password. If it is not, then set up a password immediately. Password protection can be checked and set up from any computer connected within the network. You can easily do this from Network and Internet settings in the Control Panel of your PC. Here is how.
1. Start any ...
... computer of the network.
2. Go to ‘Control Panel’.
3. Jump into ‘Network and Internet’ settings.
4. Wait for the ‘Network and Sharing Center’ window to open. This window displays your connections and all the systems that are in your business or home network.
5. Click on ‘Manage Wireless Networks’ option at the left side of the window.
6. Then pick up your network and wait.
7. Now, you’ll see a new window labelled [NETWORKTITLE] Wireless Network Properties.
8. Open the ‘Security’ tab and check if the password is set already.
9. If not, then set a password for your network.
Change advanced settings and set up a Network Security key
After assigning a password to your network, go ahead and do these advanced settings. These advanced settings are also present under Network and Sharing section in the Control Panel. Here is how.
1. Don’t close the Control Panel window. If you’ve closed the window already, then reopen it.
2. Now, return to the ‘Network and Sharing’ settings with the back button. Users who have reopened the Control Panel need to click on the ‘Network and Internet’ and wait for the ‘Network and Sharing Center’ window to open.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click on the ‘Password Protected Sharing’.
4. Under Password protected sharing heading, select the ‘Turn on’ option to enable it.
5. Select a new password for sharing. Everyone in the network should know this password.
6. Distribute the password to coworkers or family members who are in the network.
7. Now, modify all the settings of the ‘Advanced Sharing Settings’ page including HomeGroup or WorkGroup connections, File and printer sharing, File sharing connections and Public folder sharing to the safest status.
Enable Windows Firewall protection
Enabling the Windows Firewall is the most simple thing you can do to secure your network and prevent unauthorized access. Windows Firewall settings are also in Control Panel.
1. Return to the ‘Network and Sharing’ settings with the back button.
2. Here, under the See also section at the lower-left corner you’ll find the “Windows Firewall” option, click on it to open the Firewall settings.
3. In the Home or work (private) networks section, check the Windows Firewall state is turned on.
Once the Windows Firewall protection is enabled, your home or work network will be protected completely from the unauthorized access.
Ellen Cooper is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cybersecurity. She writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. Her articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs, and websites.
IT expert having deep knowledge about PC antivirus products. Mainly researching and writing blogs. https://askmeyp.com/ | https://m4activate.co.uk/ | https://n4setup.co.uk/
Computers Articles1. The Importance Of A Network Security Audit
2. The Most Useful Microsoft Word Hints To Help You Get More Done
3. Work Better In Word, Excel, And Outlook With These Tips And Techniques
4. Time-saving Points To Make Your Workers Be More Efficient Using Microsoft Office
5. Microsoft Office Tips: An Overview
6. Guide To Windows 10
7. How Do I Get Assistance In Windows 10?
8. May 2021, Yes You Can Buy Windows 10 At The Best Price
9. How To Make The Most Of Windows 10
10. Windows 10 And Its Few Tricks Up Its Sleeve
11. In One Hour Or Less, Learn How To Set Up A New Windows 10 Pc Perfectly
12. Top 10 Reasons Why Cloud Migration Is Important?
13. The Keyword Research Tips That Will Take Your Seo To The Next Level
Author: Hire SEO Freelancer
14. Aol Mail Login | Sign In Aol Mail | Aol Mail
15. All In One Funeral Home Software
Author: Nathan White