ALL >> Internet-Marketing >> View Article
How To Migrate From Magento 1 To Magento 2 Five Easy Steps?
Everyone in the e-commerce world is in a frenzy. Now, that the June 2020 deadline is near, businesses are scrambling to move from Magento 1 to the latest Magento 2 version. Even though more than 250,000 websites work on Magento, only a handful websites run on the current Magento 2 version. If you are planning to move to Magento 2, you have made the right decision. Planning a migration helps in avoiding downtime and data loss. Making strategic decisions and creating a solid Magento migration plan will keep your store up and running without any issues.
How do you move your Store from Magento 1 to Magento 2?
Here’s a step by step procedure for migrating your store to Magento 2:
Hardware and Software Compatibility
Once you are sure of how you want your new Magento 2 store to look and function, you must consider the software and hardware issues. Remember Magento 2 won’t function efficiently if you run it on outdated software.
1. Operating Systems – Linux x86-64
2. Web Servers – Apache 2.2 or 2.4 and nginx 1.x
3. Database - MySQL 5.6, 5.7 or MariaDB 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, Percona 5.7 and other binary-compatible MySQL technologies.
4. Supported PHP versions include 7.1.3+ or 7.2.0+
5. Required PHP Extensions: bc-math, ctype, curl, dom, gd, hash, intl, iconv, mbstring, mcrypt, openssl, PDO/MySQL, SimpleXML, soap, spl, libxml, xsl, zip, json.
6. Verify PHP OPcache and PHP configuration settings including memory_limit.
7. Valid SSL certificate for HTTPS 8. System Tools – bash, gzip, lsof, mysql, mysqldump, nice, php, sed, tar
9. Mail Server - Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) or an SMTP server
10. If you are running Magento 2 extension on a system with less than 2GB of RAM, your upgrade might fail.
2. Install Magento 2 Software
The real process of migrating to Magento 2 starts here. You need to download the latest Magento 2 Open Source software from the official website. If you have the required hardware and software ready, the installation process will be quick & easy and the “Success” message will appear on the screen. If there are any issues, make sure you install the missing software. Once the installation process is over, it’s time to start migrating your store to M2.
Before you begin the migration process, make sure to back up database and files to avoid data loss later. In order to avoid any errors, you can also opt for a staging environment to test-drive the entire process.
3. Install and Configure Data Migration Tool
The official Data Migration Tool makes data transfer from Magento 1 to Magento 2 easy. The tool is command-line interface (CLI) that allows you to migrate store settings, configurations, bulk databases and incremental data updates as required. Once you install and configure the tool, you should start migrating the settings from Magento 1 to Magento 2. It is recommended that you stop all Magento 1.x cron jobs for easy migration. You can also use the Data Migration tool for migrating products, wishlist products, customer orders, customers, categories, ratings, reviews and more.
Remember that you must avoid creating new products, attributes and categories in Magento 2 store before migrating data. The tool will overwrite new entities and thus, you will have to spend time in rework. It is essential that you run a test so that you do not miss out on any important element.
4. Migrate Themes, Extension and Customization
You need to check whether the Magento 1 theme is compatible with the latest Magento 2 standards. If it is not compatible, you will have to buy a new theme from the Magento market place or build a custom theme to fulfill M2 requirements. Using a theme compatible with Magento 2 is important because the old XML structure won’t work with the latest version.
You must also consider the third-party extensions. Make a list of extensions that are absolutely essential to you. Discuss your requirements with a Magento extension developer to customize your extensions or buy extensions that are compatible with Magento 2.
Do not worry about customization. With a Magento code migration tool, you can convert the custom Magento 1.x code to Magento 2 and save time as well as eliminate errors. You can use the tool to migrate specific files such as Layout XML files, Config XML files, PHP files, etc. However, you may have to undertake some editing manually.
5. Run Tests before you go Live
After migrating all store data, themes, extensions and customization, make sure that you run multiple tests to ascertain the proper functioning of the website. Check all the aspects of the website in detail. Migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is not a simple task. Any mistake can lead to additional downtime and data loss.
If you have made any manual changes to the data, there are chances of errors in the incremental data migration. So, test your Magento 2 store for any problems or errors. Once you are sure that the new store is functioning properly, you can put your Magento 1 system in maintenance mode. Stop incremental updates and begin Magento 2 cron jobs. Replace DNS and load balancers to make your Magento 2 store go live.
All the best!
If you are new to Magento or simply want the migration process done faster, hire a Magento migration expert. A professional will ensure that you migrate from Magento-1 to Magento-2 in a safe, stress-free manner. It will mean zero data loss and minimal downtime.
I am a specialist in Magento extension development. I have helped several store-owners in achieving their business goals with custom Magento extensions and plugins. Connect with me to know more about incredible Magento modules that will take your business to the pinnacle of success.
Internet Marketing Articles1. About Keywords: Everything You Need To Know – Part 1
2. Top Reasons Why Online Marketing Can Help Financially Struggling Businesses
Author: Harry Sazos
3. Morbiz Is Offering A Free Web Presence Analysis For Small Businesses
Author: Jay Gilbert
4. How Digital Marketing Agency Can Help Start-ups To Grow A Brand In 2021?
Author: Ajay Agarwal
5. How Are Influencer Programs Affecting Prs In 2021
Author: TYC Communication
6. Impact Of Social Media Marketing Services For Your Business
Author: Dev Roy
7. The Best 5 Ai Photo Editing Software You Can Use In 2021
Author: Ella Johnson
8. What Is The Impact Of Social Media On Your Marketing
Author: athira aravindan
9. 5 Real Benefits Of Investing In Digital Marketing
Author: Olivia Martinez
10. The Best Mobile Application Development Agency In India
Author: khushboo pal
11. How To Apply Dubai Visa? Dubai E Visa Online
Author: Dubai E Visa Online
12. Seo Vs. Sem: Which Should You Adopt And Why?
13. Giải Pháp Chiếu Sáng Sân Vườn
Author: Nc Lighting
14. You Should Hire An Seo Specialist/company For Your Business: Here’s Why
15. What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of A Pr Agency?
Author: Exclusive PR Solutions