ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
Helpful Tips – Soil For A Miniature Garden
When setting up a large-scale fairy garden, there are many details to consider. Which miniature plants will you choose? What fairy garden accessories will be included? Will there be a theme? Whether your miniature garden extends across your yard or occupies a humble corner, you always want to be sure that the most basic elements are in place before adding fairy garden accessories and decorative touches. When it comes to miniature gardening, you cannot get more basic than beginning with soil. It supports your fairy garden plants, serves as a base for your miniature houses, and is, quite literally, the foundation of a successful fairy garden. So, are you ready to dig in a project?
Getting Started with Soil
Miniature gardens come in a variety of sizes and shapes. If you are growing a fairy garden in a container, you will want to use high-quality potting soil. Choose a potting soil based on the recommendations for specific plants you intend to use in your fairy garden. An organic black gold potting soil plus fertilizer is recommended for container fairy gardens. A cactus, which prefers dry roots, will want a different kind of soil than other flowers and miniature plants. Let your plants’ needs to be the guide.
If you are growing a large-scale outdoor miniature garden, you will use garden soil. The plants you choose for an outdoor garden will likely be slow-growing, dwarf, or miniature plants. They will appreciate your existing topsoil mixed with organic compost. Your outdoor soil may be loamy, or it may be a sandy or clay variety, depending on the location of your miniature garden. Be sure to choose miniature plants that are suitable for your particular growing zone and the amount of available sun.
Fertilizer and Mulch
Throughout the year, you may want to add fertilizer, mulch, and other substances to your miniature garden. These amendments ensure that your plants bloom at their most significant, brightest, and healthiest levels. Organic mulches help smother weeds, and a favorite is fairy mulch, which is small-scale to fit in miniature gardens. Sawdust, fir bark, ground bark, and shredded tree leaves are additional options for organic mulch. Inorganic mulches include landscape fabric covered with pea gravel, gravel, and river rock. These hardscapes help to block weeds, but they will not decompose nor add nutrients to the soil like organic mulch.
When it comes to miniature garden maintenance, it may be helpful to get on a schedule. Ours looks like this:
• In the springtime, just after the ground thaws, add fertilizer of your choice to trees, shrubs, and perennial beds. Some plants, such as rose bushes and azaleas, may need fertilizers that are formulated for their particular plant type. Avoid fertilizing on the spring days that are dry and hot. Wait for mild temperatures. Apply bone meal to blooming plants, bulbs, fruit trees, shrubs, and ornamentals in your fairy garden.
• Throughout the summer, you can mulch plants to help control weeds in the fairy garden and keep the soil temperature moderated. We recommend high-quality hardwood mulches spread in a 2-3-inch later. Of course, in the summertime, you can expect to weed! Pull weeds before they flower or seed in your miniature garden.
• Autumn is another chance to apply bone meal to blooming plants. Check the status of your mulch in your miniature garden and add more if needed. Then, after the first hard frost, apply fertilizer to trees, shrubs, and perennial beds. If any of the plants in your outdoor miniature garden are houseplants, you will want to bring them indoors during the winter months. Do not worry—you can move them back outside to your fairy garden when the weather warms up again in the springtime!
There you have it, the “dirt” on the soil in the miniature garden. With the right soil mixture, mulch, fertilizer, and regular care, your fairy garden is sure to flourish.
Miniature Gardening offers miniature trees, accessories, fairies, garden tools & dollhouse furniture to create enchanting miniature landscapes for containers or your yard. Miniature gardening offers exclusive collection of handcrafted stone fairy houses designed for outdoor fairy gardens. If you are looking for fairy garden accessories, www.miniature-gardening.com can be a good option.
Home and Garden Articles1. Surrey Spray Foam For Bundling Building And Insulation
Author: Aron Abrams
2. Concrete Repairs, Replacements, And Protection
Author: Mark Moore
3. Enjoy Eco Friendly Living With Green Home Building
4. Concrete Retaining Walls: Property Owners Should Know This
5. Five Reasons To Hire A Licensed Plumber
Author: Bryson Kaleb
6. Chief Benefits Of Financing A Furnace In Budget
Author: Rox Heating
7. Helpful Tips On Finding Bed Bugs In Your Home
Author: Helpful Tips On Finding Bed Bugs In Your Home
8. Give New Look To The Kitchen With Remodeling
Author: Charles Bernardi
9. Why Should You Choose Vacuum Loading In Confined Spaces?
Author: Aussie Hydrovac
10. A Buyers' Guide To Bathroom Furniture - Coordinating Bath Panels
Author: Aquant India
11. Decking - Making A Right Choice?
Author: Akash Sisodiya
12. Is Pest Control Safe For Newborn Babies?
Author: Austin Baines
13. 4 Major Benefits Of Professional Upholstery Cleaning
Author: Jamie Fison
14. Reasons Why Mattress Cleaning Services Are Necessary
Author: Austin Baines
15. What Is So Special About Carpet Steam Cleaning?
Author: Lilian Facy