ALL >> Health >> View Article
Attention Or Sleep, Problems With Sleep Related To Adhd
Total Articles: 35
You wouldn’t want to have to make that choice for children. Many children diagnosed with ADHD are prescribed medications to help with the symptoms. Some popular medications in use are Ritalin, Concerta and Adderall. These medications are helping some people. The drug companies themselves are listing sleep problems as a possible side effect.
According to a November 23, 2015 online article in Pediatrics, research analysis led by Katherine Kidwell of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln found that children given stimulants tended to have sleep problems more often. One of the studies compared the sleep of children given methylphenidate (generic Ritalin) with children given a placebo. The children who took the generic Ritalin slept an average of 20 minutes less per night. They also found that taking a stimulant medication more often during the day caused a child to take longer to fall asleep at night.
Dr. Trevor Resnick, who is chief of pediatric neurology at Nicklaus Children’s Hospital in Miami says that it is extremely important that all children get a good night’s sleep for healthy brain development. It is his belief that only a small percentage of children will develop problems related to ADHD medications though.
I believe based on experience and reading that many attention problems may be due to poor sleep. If the brain is tired it is not going to work as efficiently. It is harder to learn, focus, and pay attention when you are sleep deprived. Some problems are due to children not getting enough sleep. This can be caused by going to bed too late. As Dr. Michael Thompson of the ADD Centre in Toronto Canada says, another problem is that before many kids go to bed they are watching stimulating TV programs and playing stimulating video games. When they finally do go to bed their brains are still too stimulated for quality sleep for some time. Most children also have to wake up very early to get to school on time. That doesn’t help things either. Now this research review is showing that the medications intended to improve attention and hyperactivity symptoms may cause sleep problems in some of the children they are intended to help.
Health Articles1. Is Modafinil Safe In The Long Term?
Author: Tim Parker
2. Top Veterinary Product Manufacturing Companies
Author: Reshma Mane
3. What Will Be The Recovery After Liposuction?
4. How Can Liposuction Help In Spot Reducing Bulges In Body?
5. Today's Men's The Best Electrics Razors To Buy In 2019
Author: Sophia Bee
6. Akanksha Hospital And Research Institutes- Best Surrogacy Clinic In India
Author: Akanksha Hospital
7. Dr. Nayana H. Patel- Best Ivf Doctor In India
Author: Akanksha Hospital
8. How To Get Better Dental Treatment
Author: Dental Wellness
9. Teeth Whitening – Procedure, Cost, Side Effects And Time Taken
Author: Dexter Brown
10. Prevention Of Neck Pain While Sitting In Office
11. What Is Ala And Its Benefits On Human Body?
12. Benefits Of Dental Tourism
Author: National Dental Care
13. Risk Of Ignoring Dental Health
14. How About Learning Yoga Teacher Training In Nepal
Author: KIshor Rathod
15. What Are Advantages Of Clear Braces?
Author: Jerry Hardy