ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
What To Do When Electrical Outlets Get Hot
Total Articles: 3
Electrical outlets in new buildings should not get hot, but if they do then there is a real problem and you need to have it sorted straight away. It can happen in older buildings where a number of things could be causing wiring and electrical outlets to get hot, but whenever, any outlets or plugs get hot, you need to call an Electrician on the Gold Coast immediately as something has gone wrong and it’s potentially a very dangerous situation.
These are the steps you should take:
The first thing to do is to find the circuit breaker or fuse that controls that outlet and turn it off or remove the fuse link.
Then remove anything that’s plugged into that outlet
Sometimes using devices that contain an inline, step down, voltage transformer such as rechargeable batteries, laptops, cell phones, electric hand tools, rechargeable lights etc, a power outlet can become warm, but they will never make it too hot to touch. If it’s more than warm, switch it off and do not use it.If you want to check to see if that’s the case, then wait a few hours so the outlet is a normal temperature and plug in an appliance that does not have a transformer and see if it still heats up. You will then know if it was your wiring or one of your devices that’s at fault
Often a circuit will have multiple outlets, so it may be, there are just too many things plugged into the circuit especially if you are using adapters with additional outlets
An outlet can become warm because it’s overloaded, but it should never become hot
Sometimes an outlet will become warm when not being used or if there is only one appliance drawing a low current from it. This could be because there are other appliances drawing a load from other outlets on the same circuit
A loose or warn connection can cause electrical fittings to overheat
If your drawing more power than the wiring on your circuit can handle, because the wires are too small, they will heat up because of the resistance this causes and become a fire hazard
For some reason, mice and other rodents seem to be attracted to the plastic insulation on electrical wiring and will chew it right down until the wire is bare, allowing the wires to touch each other. Sometimes this will not trip a circuit breaker or blow a fuse to remove the risk, but it will cause enough resistance in the circuit so it heats up, possibly enough to cause a fire
It is vital that if you have any concerns with warm or hot electrical connections you contact your local Electrician on The Gold Coast. If they are not available, call the local fire department. Tell them, although this is not an emergency, you are worried about your building wiring heating up and ask if they can check it to ensure it’s safe.
Electricity can be very dangerous if your wiring is not correctly installed. At the first signs of outlets heating up or circuit breakers tripping for no apparent reason, contact your local electrician on The Gold Coast for assistance.
Home and Garden Articles1. 3 Things I Love About Cabin Decor
Author: Tana Lake
2. How To Choose A Home Renovation Organization?
Author: James Kyle
3. Garage Door Repair And Maintenance Looking Into Protection
4. Garage Door Restoration - How You The Best Repairman
5. Questions To Think About When Hiring A Garage Door Repair Service Provider
6. What You Need To Know When It Comes To Garage Door Maintenance
7. Where To Find The Best Company For Garage Door Repair And Installation
8. Selecting Your Local Garage Door Restoration Service
9. Garage Door Restoration - The Guidelines To Success
10. Professional Tips To Perform A Garage Door Repair
11. Garage Door Restoration For Everybody
12. Emergency Garage Door Repair Solutions
13. Advantages Of Cork Flooring
Author: Gabriel Fulton
14. A Complete Guide That You Should Consider For Travertine Tile & Paver Installation
Author: Pamela Edgess
15. How Do You Keep Your Area Rug Clean?
Author: Nikolay Milchev