ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
What To Do When Electrical Outlets Get Hot
Electrical outlets in new buildings should not get hot, but if they do then there is a real problem and you need to have it sorted straight away. It can happen in older buildings where a number of things could be causing wiring and electrical outlets to get hot, but whenever, any outlets or plugs get hot, you need to call an Electrician on the Gold Coast immediately as something has gone wrong and it’s potentially a very dangerous situation.
These are the steps you should take:
The first thing to do is to find the circuit breaker or fuse that controls that outlet and turn it off or remove the fuse link.
Then remove anything that’s plugged into that outlet
Sometimes using devices that contain an inline, step down, voltage transformer such as rechargeable batteries, laptops, cell phones, electric hand tools, rechargeable lights etc, a power outlet can become warm, but they will never make it too hot to touch. If it’s more than warm, switch it off and do not use it.If you want to check to see if that’s the case, then wait a few hours so the outlet is a normal temperature and plug in an appliance that does not have a transformer and see if it still heats up. You will then know if it was your wiring or one of your devices that’s at fault
Often a circuit will have multiple outlets, so it may be, there are just too many things plugged into the circuit especially if you are using adapters with additional outlets
An outlet can become warm because it’s overloaded, but it should never become hot
Sometimes an outlet will become warm when not being used or if there is only one appliance drawing a low current from it. This could be because there are other appliances drawing a load from other outlets on the same circuit
A loose or warn connection can cause electrical fittings to overheat
If your drawing more power than the wiring on your circuit can handle, because the wires are too small, they will heat up because of the resistance this causes and become a fire hazard
For some reason, mice and other rodents seem to be attracted to the plastic insulation on electrical wiring and will chew it right down until the wire is bare, allowing the wires to touch each other. Sometimes this will not trip a circuit breaker or blow a fuse to remove the risk, but it will cause enough resistance in the circuit so it heats up, possibly enough to cause a fire
It is vital that if you have any concerns with warm or hot electrical connections you contact your local Electrician on The Gold Coast. If they are not available, call the local fire department. Tell them, although this is not an emergency, you are worried about your building wiring heating up and ask if they can check it to ensure it’s safe.
Electricity can be very dangerous if your wiring is not correctly installed. At the first signs of outlets heating up or circuit breakers tripping for no apparent reason, contact your local electrician on The Gold Coast for assistance.
Home and Garden Articles1. Biggest Mistakes Proprietors Make When Trimming Their Trees
Author: ProGreen Landscaping and Pavers
2. Now You Can Get Energy Smart With Solar Powered Pond Fountains For Your Golf Course, Resort, Subdivi
Author: Discount Pumps
3. Top 5 Branded Induction Cooktop In India At Apnidukan
Author: Sweta Sate
4. Top 3 Branded Roti Maker In India At Apnidukaan
Author: Sweta Sate
5. Best Ways To Clean Your Blinds For A Spotless Shine All The Time!
Author: Nick Cvetkovski
6. Which Access Control Systems Should You Have In Your Office?
Author: Mike B.
7. Top Reasons Why High-pressured Water Jetting Is Beneficial For Drain Cleaning
Author: Lucas Wiedermann
8. All You Need To Know About Electric Water Pumps For House
Author: Jacob James
9. Take A Look At These Hardwood Flooring Installation Trends
10. 5 Things You Should Know About Engineered Wood Flooring
Author: Bernard Wogan
11. Advantages Of Working With A Home Builder
Author: Rayan Evan
12. How Often Does A Pool Need To Be Resurfaced Southwest Florida?
Author: Contemporary Pools
13. Wide Variety Of Large Summerhouse In All Sorts Of Different Sizes & Shapes Hitting The Market
Author: James Johnson
14. Access The Best Solution For Hot Water Tank Issues
Author: Furnace Air Winnipeg
15. Solve Issues On Hvac With Professional Repair Services In Calgary
Author: AAA Heating and Cooling