ALL >> Health >> View Article
Understanding Root Canal Therapy
Total Articles: 3
Many people dread hearing from their dentist that they need root canal treatment or root canal therapy (RCT), but this fear is mostly driven by a lack of understanding of what RCT entails. While root canal treatment is used to resolve serious dental problems, the procedure itself should be no more uncomfortable than having a regular filling done.
A Quick Look at Tooth Anatomy
Each of our teeth is made up of a hard exterior of enamel and dentine, along with one or more roots that anchor our teeth to our jaw – much like how the root of a plant or tree keep it anchored in the ground. But the interior of each tooth contains the tooth pulp – a soft tissue consisting of blood vessels and nerves – which provides the tooth with oxygen and nutrients, keeping it alive. A cracked tooth, general tooth decay, and untreated gum disease can all lead to the tooth pulp being exposed to bacteria, resulting in it becoming infected, and possibly leading to an abscess.
When is Root Canal Treatment Necessary?
Some minor infections of the tooth pulp can be treated with using medical treatments, followed by a simple filling to fix a crack or minor tooth decay. But if the infection is severe, or has already resulted in an abscess, your dentist will probably recommend RCT, rather than extraction. Extraction is usually a last resort, or if the tooth is already loose.
What Does Root Canal Treatment Involve?
Most root canal treatments are completed over two or three separate visits to your dentist, with the first visit lasting up to 90 minutes. The treatment begins with removing any existing filling, active tooth decay, along with the infected tooth pulp, which includes blood vessels and nerves. The inside of the tooth and the root canals may then be shaped to remove any irregular surfaces which could prevent the tooth from being filled properly, or contain bacteria. The interior needs to be completely clean and free of bacteria and infection before it is filled with a special substance that prevents the pulp chamber and root canals from becoming infected again.
Only once the pulp chamber and root canals have been effectively sealed will the tooth then be closed with a proper filling. If the tooth shape and structure has been significantly altered by decay, the infection, and the treatment, a crown could be added later to not only restore the tooth’s shape but also to strengthen the tooth itself.
All dentists are trained to perform root canal treatments, and it is only under special circumstances that you might need to be referred to an endodontist. Some dental practices, such as Smile Solutions have their own onsite endodontists working alongside general dentists.
Easy going, relaxed, enjoys work and play.
Health Articles1. Male Organ Vitamin Cream: What Is It, Why A Man Should Use It, And What It Should Include.
Author: John Dugan
2. How To Get A Tele-appointment With Doctor In Pakistan For Arthritis Treatment
Author: Abigail Kane
3. Cardio Strike Is Not Only A Workout It’s Also Make Workout Fun
Author: Matt kelman
4. Immunotherapy By Dr. Ashok Vaid: New Hope For Cancer Treatment In India
Author: Lisa Resnick
5. Hair Loss Causes Treatment And Prevention
Author: Pioneer Hair Transplant
6. Why Tramadol And Tapentadol Are Considered Best Opioids For Pain Medications?
Author: Why Tramadol and Tapentadol are considered best op
7. Simple Guidance For You In Allergy Asthma Center In Kolkata.
Author: sagar painuly
8. Learn About Liposuction And Cosmetic Surgery
Author: Waseem Hameed Khan
9. How To Fix Your Smile With Cosmetic Dentistry Chermside
Author: Claudia Lamington
10. Buy Ultram 100mg Online Thru Overnight Shipping
Author: Buy Ultram 100mg online thru Overnight shipping
11. Which Treatment Is Best For Piles?
Author: Vithai Piles Hospital
12. Why Should You Choose The Origin Ivf Center ? Best Ivf Center In Gurgaon
Author: Origin Clinic
13. 7 Simple Ways To Cheer Up A Lonely Senior
Author: Andy Ratana
14. Calories Matter – If You Want To Avoid Obesity | Anti-inflammatory Education
Author: David Seaman
15. Why To Choose Tramadol Cash On Delivery Option?
Author: Buy Tramadols Online