ALL >> Health >> View Article
Role Of Sedation Dentistry In Overcoming Patient’s Fear And Anxiety
Total Articles: 94
For some people, going through a dental procedure can be very scary. Aside from the pain that they will feel, they are also worried of their potential discomfort and vulnerability. The good news is that sedation dentistry can help these patients, making them feel more relaxed during any kind of dental work. But is this the right choice for everyone? Read on as we delve a little deeper about sedation dentistry and how it can overcome patient fear and anxiety.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry means the dentist administers a drug before or during the procedure. General anesthesia is the only kind that will render a patient completely unconscious. There are other kinds that can relax you, but will not completely knock you out. Here are the most common kinds of sedation mediation used by many dentists today.
• Nitrous oxide – This is a gas that relaxes the patient. It quickly wears off, so your dentist might allow you to drive yourself home after the procedure.
• Oral sedatives – These help patients relax, and are taken about an hour before the procedure. Patients will be awake but less anxious; they will feel a little sleepy until the drug wears off.
• Intravenous sedatives – IV sedatives can put patients in varying stages of consciousness. This is also known as general anesthesia that puts you in a deep sleep until it wears off. There are other IV drugs that put you in a twilight sleep, making you less aware of your surroundings. These kinds of drugs will not make you remember much of the procedure afterwards.
There are some who assume that general anesthesia is always the best choice. However, this kind of anesthesia comes with more potential side effects compared to the others, so lesser forms of sedation are always considered first. If your dentist talks about sleep dentistry, then they most likely mean general anesthesia.
You might want dental sedation but talk to your dentist first, and mention any allergic reactions you have had in the past. This way, your dentist can make safe recommendations. Also talk about local anesthetics that are administered along the gum line and numb the mouth so you will not experience pain. If you are not afraid of the dentist, this might be the only thing that you need.
Who Needs Sedation Dentistry?
Patients who are considering sedation dentistry usually have various reasons for their interest. Listed below are some of the most common. Take note, though, that regular dental work like x-rays and cleanings do not usually use sedation dentistry, although extreme anxiety might be a viable reason to necessitate the use of sedation dentistry.
• General anxiety disorder
• Local anesthetic resistance
• Phobia on dental procedures
• Previous bad experience with dental work
• Sensitive oral nerves
• Small mouth that becomes sore during dental procedures
Before deciding on dental sedation, think about the particular procedure and your overall response to dental care. If you fear needles, for example, IV sedation might cause you anxiety. Also, if you are worried about being vulnerable on the dentist chair, a local anesthetic that will make you stay alert might be a good choice for you.
If you need more information that what is going on in Dental Industry, you may read our blog here
Health Articles1. Order Xanax Online In Most Economical Price Ever
Author: Varun Kumar Mishra
2. Best Ayurvedic Treatment In India
Author: Ambika Nayak
3. Is Hcg Injection Really Helps In Weight Loss?
Author: Tim Parker
4. Introduction To Vedic Yoga Academy
Author: Kishor Rathod
5. 5 Healthy Ingredients To Include In Your Daily Diet
Author: Sophia White
6. Home Health Care Services Has Facilitated The Way To Cure Diseases In Hospital Like Atmosphere
Author: Formdox Technology
7. The Risks And Effects Of Mixing Alcohol And Energy Drinks
Author: Everything Health
8. What Are Permanent Dentures?
Author: Roman Ali
9. How To Know Your Irregular Period Is Pcos Or Not?
Author: Rakshit Agrawal
10. Polycystic Kidney Disease Patients - What Can And Cannot Eat?
Author: Karma Ayurveda
11. Avail The Best Services Of Online Grocery Shopping From Reputed Companies
12. What Aspects Should You Consider Finding The Best Dentist Office?
Author: Dexter Brown
13. Be Wise, Donate Your Eyes To The People In Exigency
Author: Ganesh Raj U
14. Satthwa Hair Oil Review 2019 | Hair Regrowth Oil
Author: Divya Aggarwal
15. Morcellators Market To Experience Significant Growth During The Forecast Period 2018 To 2026