ALL >> Business >> View Article
Business Succession Planning
This is not just a tax issue. Without business succession planning, it’s unlikely that your business will survive to the next generation or sell for its true value. This assumes, of course, that succession or sale is a goal.
Here are six business succession planning mistakes to avoid.
Waiting too long to plan. An ideal succession plan requires laying the groundwork over many years — some experts recommend planning your exit strategy from the day you start the business. How you want to exit the business tomorrow strongly influences how you structure and operate the business today.
Assuming the children will take over the business. Talk to your children to determine what they really want. Learn their desires as soon as possible in order to pursue other avenues if necessary, such as selling to an employee or partner or finding an outside buyer.
Dividing the business equally among heirs. Equitable doesn’t have to mean equal, and in the case of a business, establishing an equal partnership among heirs can be a recipe for disaster. As an alternative, determine which child has the talent and genuine desire to run your business, and plan a way to leave your other children non business assets, such as proceeds from life insurance.
Overlooking the possibility of a disability. Most business succession plans address the owner’s retirement or premature death, but may overlook the possibility that the business owner could become disabled and no longer able to run the business. A good succession plan addresses this possibility.
Failing to fund the succession plan. If your plan is to sell your business to a family member, partner, employee or outside buyer at your death, disability or retirement, how will they come up with the funds to purchase the business? Loans and cash are two options, but also analyze the pros and cons of using life and disability buyout insurance to fund a succession plan.
Planning alone. Business succession planning is complicated. The tax issues alone should send you to an expert for advice. In addition, consider working with an outside expert who can lead family meetings and ease family conflicts by providing a knowedgeable, objective perspective.
Business Articles1. Wordpress Developer In Chennai | Website Development | Techtamizhan
2. Acrylic Materials Decoration Menu Cards
Author: Michael Walton
3. Bilge & Ballast Eductors Are Widely Used In The Shipbuilding Industry
Author: Crystal TCS
4. Why Are Tool Carts Essential To Cnc Holders?
Author: Ashley James
5. Every Small Business Owner Should Know About Investing Wisely
Author: Sharon Rousseau
6. How Can You Find Marked-down Iphone And Ipad Repair Solutions Within The Leeds In 2020?
Author: Noorain Hassan
7. Check Out These Men’s Western Cowboy Boots
Author: MICHAEL FREAS
8. Building Materials With Greenstone Aac Blocks
Author: AAC Blocks
9. Global Content Analytics Market
10. Why An Rv Leveling System Matters
Author: Bill Rowell
11. Manage Axial Location Properly With Suitable Bearing Solution
12. Get Quick Auto Glass Replacement Services In Case Of A Broken Window
13. Look At The Vital Aspects Should Know About Cylindrical Roller Bearing
14. Benefits Of Getting In Touch With The Company That Offers Private Labelling & Packaging Services
Author: Modern food products
15. Experts Say Mnc Stocks Are Attractive
Author: Stock Investor