ALL >> Business >> View Article
3 Big Ways The Tax Code Helps Natural Disaster Victim
When natural disasters occur, many people are often left with damaged or destroyed homes and businesses. Some lose everything they own. If you are affected by a disaster that is declared by the president to qualify for federal assistance, there are several provisions in the tax law that may provide relief:
Extended tax deadline and interest abatement. The IRS is authorized to postpone the deadlines for filing returns and paying taxes for up to 120 days in a federally declared disaster area. Also, the IRS will not charge interest that would otherwise accrue for the extension period.
Faster refund. Taxpayers suffering losses in a federal disaster area have a choice of which tax year to deduct the casualty loss. You may deduct it on the return for the year the loss occurs, or it can be claimed on your prior year's tax return. Amending your prior year's return may give you a refund of much-needed cash sooner than waiting to deduct the loss on your current year's tax return.
Tax-free gain. If the insurance payments you receive exceed the tax basis of your property, you will end up with a casualty gain. Casualty gains in federally declared disaster areas receive special tax treatment.
For example, individuals may qualify for up to a $250,000 gain exclusion ($500,000 for married couples) on their principal residence. That's because the destruction of the residence is treated as a sale for tax purposes.
If you suffer a casualty loss, schedule a meeting today to discuss the best tax course of action in your situation: http://www.bas-pc.com/schedule.
Countless businesses throughout the Tri-State area depend on BAS to handle all of their business accounting, payroll, and tax needs.
We encourage you to schedule a free, no obligation introductory call with us today to see how All-Inclusive Accounting can help your successful business truly excel.
Business Accounting Systems, P.C., is a South Jersey Public Accounting Firm located in West Deptford, New Jersey that has been providing excellence in servicing the accounting, payroll, and tax needs of independently owned small businesses throughout the Tri-State area. Our firm is licensed by the New Jersey State Board of Accountancy and was founded in 1971 by Leon A. Elwell, P.A., E.A. and continues to be operated today by L. Scott Elwell, VP.
Business Accounting Systems, P.C., is a South Jersey Public Accounting Firm located in West Deptford, New Jersey that has been providing excellence in servicing the accounting, payroll, and tax needs of independently owned small businesses throughout the Tri-State area. For More Info : Visit Here : https://www.bas-pc.com/
Business Articles1. How To Find Cheap International Flights Ticket
Author: How To Find Cheap International Flights Ticket
2. Tips For Choosing The Right Iphone Repair Service Centre
Author: Keyur Patel
3. Spit Roast Caterers Sydney’s Tips To Throw A Rocking Corporate Party
Author: Mario Sazos
4. Object Oriented Programming Language
Author: Object Oriented Programming Language
5. We Produce Pre-roll Packaging Use Quality Material
Author: Jeff Parker
6. Tips To Increase Resilience In Your Workforce
Author: Edmund Brunetti
7. Guide To Know About The Top Leading Cement Brand In India - Wonder Cement
Author: Nirav Dedhia
8. Textile Fabrics Market Business Overview, Challenges, Opportunities, Trends And Analysis By 2025
Author: Market Research Future
9. Elite League Of Innovative Entrepreneurs, 2019
10. Top 5 Lead Generation Strategies For A Highly Successful Business
Author: Surabhi Joshi
11. Dressy Tunic Tops To Wear With Leggings: The Mature Way To Pull Off The Legging Look
Author: Katie Kutsunis
12. Silicone Coating Market New Industry Research On Present State & Future Growth Prospects By 2025
Author: Market Research Future
13. Hire Professional Hair And Makeup Services In Key West
Author: Hire Professional Hair And Makeup Services in Key
14. Choosing Family Activities For The Summer
Author: Mark Luke
15. Rehabilitation Centers Near Me
Author: Rehabilitation centers near me