ALL >> Health >> View Article
Effective Ways To Communicate With The Elderly
Also, there are physical problems that come with age that can inhibit their senses and can make communication even more challenging. However, there are certain techniques that you can adapt to maintain a healthy communication with elders.
1. Stay Aware Of Their Health Issues
Health issues can cause a lot of misunderstandings if people don't know about them. Suppose you say hello to an aged person and they don't respond, the most likely reason is a hearing impairment. But you might think that they are arrogant or cranky and change your behaviour towards them. If they forget to say hello, that doesn't mean they are aloof. They might be suffering from a memory loss or some other ailment. When you are aware of their health issues, you can take care of them in a better way.
2. Maintain Eye Contact
Most elders crave attention. When you maintain an eye contact while talking to them, they realize that their opinion is being valued and you respect them enough to avoid any distractions during the time. Use clear language and sentences. Avoid using unfamiliar modern-day slangs that they don't understand. Be more precise in what you have to say.
3. Take Them To Appropriate Gatherings
A visit to Senior citizen gatherings or foundations such as Pyari Maa Foundation can help them interact with people their own age and keep them entertained and engaged. When the elders interact with people from the same walks of life, it makes them realize that they are not alone.v
4. Be Patient
It is likely that the older person will take more time to comprehend you than usual. It is then your duty to make sure that you listen carefully when they reply and be patient even though you have to take things really slow. Adjusting to their pace is really important if you wish to facilitate a healthy communication. Patience goes a long way when you are trying to maintain an amicable relationship with the elderly.
5. Keep a Smiling Face
A smile is a symbol of positivity. When you talk to elderly people, try to keep the conversation as positive as possible and make sure you make them smile along the way too. This creates a healthy environment for interaction.
Even though aged people might get a little difficult to handle sometimes, their wisdom can help us to a great extent. All they need is attention, love, and care and you can have an engaging and enlightening conversation with them.
Vijay Singh is the author of this article. For further detail about Pyari Maa Foundation please visit the website.
Health Articles1. An Overview Of Conditions Treated By Physiotherapy
Author: Michael Devine
2. How The Treatment Of Root Canal Is Provided?
Author: Andy Andrew
3. Questions To Ask Your Pediatrician During Newborn Visits
4. What Benefits Are Provided By Orthodontic Treatments?
Author: Thomas Adler
5. Biogenum Receives $1 Million Grant To Enhance Psychosocial Research For Dementia Care
6. When To Opt For General Dentistry?
Author: Claudia Lamington
7. Melanosis May Be Mistaken For Male Organ Rash
Author: John Dugan
8. The Importance Of Dietary Fibre In Keeping You Hale And Hearty
Author: Jay Chokshi
9. Why Buy The Right Dental Products From Good Manufacturers In China?
Author: Andy Zheng
10. Types Of Diabetes - Important Facts You Wanted To Know
Author: Jessica Cristina
11. Male Organ Pain? Duh! Some Easy Answers
Author: John Dugan
12. Everything You Need To Know About Cataract By Utsav Eye Clinic Kharghar, Navi Mumbai
Author: Bhoum Anbhavane
13. Gain Huge Success With Uk Meds
Author: Gain Huge Success With Uk Meds
14. Outline Of Stimming In Autism Child | Autism Stimming Treatment In Bangalore
15. The 7 Sins Of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Author: Shraddha singh gautam