ALL >> Career >> View Article
Importance Of Montessori Method In Teaching Children
Total Articles: 2
“To aid life, leaving it free, however, to unfold itself, that is the basic task of the educator.”(Dr. Maria Montessori)
Montessori Method of Education was developed by the renowned Italian physician and educator, Dr. Maria Montessori. She postulated a practice of learning and teaching that focused on the different new ways of learning for children by using scientific methods and theories for the toddler age till the elementary level that is a far cry away from traditional ways of teaching children.
After a lot of research and study, Montessori opened her first school where the Montessori Method for teaching kids was first used which she named it ‘Casa dei Bambini’, or Children's House in Rome on January 6, 1907.The Montessori Method of Education focuses on
• The all-round development of the child
• It also encourages the development of the unique features and skills that every child possesses through “a prepared environment’ that is creative and nurturing as well.
• It also persuades the child to develop his own thinking-pattern and thought-process and brings out his individuality.
Montessori students do not resolve to bookish knowledge, but learn by making good use of their practical sense and the tools that foster an all-round development in the child.In early Montessori stage the children mainly learn and gain knowledge through the use of their motor skills where they get engaged in different activities and play, with or without using tools.
The teacher here acts as a guide rather than any instructor so as to bring out their potentials and dynamic spirit and the development of their unique self through a caring and encouraging environment. Hence, it is through fun activities that the teacher is trained to be able to hold their attention and make them concentrate in the lessons that are taught in the classroom.
Montessori learning is also about peer learning where the students gain knowledge from one another through interactive sessions, activities and observation; where the child is the centre of attention, and whose way of learning things is given its due importance.
Teachers are required to view each child as a unique individual who has his own set of qualities and shortcomings, the teacher need to recognise them and prepare a lesson plan for each child to suit his requirements and prove advantageous for each one of them. Every child has their own pace of learning where they are given the liberty to choose the methods of learning, where the teacher will rather act as a facilitator and not an instructor. Children have an in-built capacity to learn and grasp things on their own; hence their learning environment should be well chosen with a co-operative and well-trained teacher.“The teacher’s task is not to talk, but to prepare and arrange a series of motives for cultural activity in a special environment made for the child” (Dr. Maria Montessori's Own Handbook)
It is also the teacher’s responsibility to identify disruptive behaviour in the class and turn them into productive outcomes. All these can only be attained through a well-trained teacher who has acquired the knowledge and expertise to guide the kids in the right direction, without being too overwhelming and instructional.
The Montessori teaching method has gained much popularity in these 100 years from its commencement and is still considered to be one of those teaching methods that are considered to be modern and relevant even in this age of scientific and technological development.
Montessori courses for aspiring teachers are designed for quite a few levels; however what would be best for the aspirants who do not have nor has very little experience in the field of teaching kids is the Diploma program. This course will acquaint the aspirants with all the necessary skills and expertise required for a Montessori teacher to possess, who is relatively new to this field of profession. The Diploma course puts much weightage on the Montessori teaching strategies and the classroom management skills and thus is even fit for budding entrepreneurs who are looking to open their own Montessori institutes in the near future.
I'm a Postgraduate in English Literature and have started working for a teacher training institution as a content writer where I write articles, blogs and also develop academic materials for them. i love traveling to new places and dream of visiting all the places in and around the Indian subcontinent.
Career Articles1. Staad Pro Online Training Can Help You Grow In Your Structural Designing Career!
Author: Viviek Gupta
2. Nothing To Be Worried About When Myob Help Assignment Is Here!
Author: Nothing to be Worried About When MYOB Help Assignm
3. Fresher Jobs - Fresher Jobs Openings- Jobs For Freshers
4. Analytics Key To Unlocking The Agile Journey
5. Planning To Find Job In Bangkok? Here Are The Top Picks
Author: Maxwell Emard
6. How Getting Help In Finance Assignment Can Increase Your Grades?
Author: How Getting Help In Finance Assignment Can Increas
7. Get Corporate Finance Assignment Help And Solve All Your Queries!
8. English Assignment Help Is All You Need? Hire Helpmyassignment Experts!
Author: English Assignment Help Is All You Need? Hire Help
9. Sukemasa Trust Expands Equity Platform, Launches Five Equity Funds
10. Are You Looking For A Startup Job In India? Find One Here!
Author: Amit Singh
11. Take Help To Complete Your Assignment Now In A Befitting Way
12. Struggling To Complete Economic Assignment? Get Some Help!
13. Why Students Need Help For Law Taxation Assignment?
Author: Why Students Need Help for Law Taxation Assignment
14. Finding A Winning Resume Writing Service - 5 Critical Things To Look For
15. What Is Quarter Life Crisis And How To Deal With It
Author: Prof. Chandra Kant