ALL >> Service >> View Article
Injured In A Car Accident? How Fault Is Established In Ohio
Total Articles: 3
Each state has a specific approach to establishing fault in a car accident. State law dictates whether insurance will classify an accident as no fault, leaving both parties responsible for their own damages, or whether there is an attributable degree of fault. The no fault insurance method will only attribute responsibility in the circumstance of either serious injury, or when a certain monetary threshold is met. Alternatively, comparative fault negligence claims come in two forms: either pure or modified/partial. Pure comparative negligence is based on the notion that even if a party is at majority fault, they will still be able to recover the damages for which they were not at fault. Partial comparative negligence bars recovery if the damaged party is 51% or more responsible for the injury; if one of the injured parties is 49% responsible they can recover damages, which will be reduced by their degree of fault. Ohio follows the partial comparative negligence fault rule.
HOW IS FAULT ESTABLISHED?
When fault in a car accident is being investigated, insurance companies are responsible for determining which party was at fault, as well as to what degree. This is particularly important in Ohio due to the percentage requirement for establishing a claim. The insurance company considers the reasonable person standard, i.e. what a reasonable person, given the same situation, would have done, as well as the initial police report, and any applicable motor vehicle laws.
In Ohio, drivers must maintain a minimum amount of automobile insurance in order to drive a vehicle as required by the Ohio Financial Responsibility Law. The minimum amount of bodily coverage is$25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident and $25,000 per accident involving property damage. If you are found to be liable for more damages than your insurance covers and you are unable to pay them, your assets may be taken and if you fail to pay, you may even have your wages garnished. Ohio legislatures have taken this very seriously; it is now stated in Ohio law that if a driver does not have insurance while driving, he may suffer suspension of his license, vehicle impoundment, court costs, and reinstatement fees.
More information on the most recent Ohio Legislature’s submission of the budget with Equitable Subrogation Bill, please visit our post here.
Can Our Trusted Injury Lawyers Toledo Help You?
Establishing liability and fault in an automobile accident can be difficult to understand and may seem unfair at times. If you have been in an automobile accident and feel that you have been wrongfully attributed with the majority of liability or have questions about your degree of fault, please contact us at 419-241-5500 or email us, using our website. The attorneys at Lafferty, Gallagher & Scott are conveniently located in Toledo, OH and have over 40 years of experience helping those with apersonal injury issue to achieve satisfactory results.
Service Articles1. How To Select Ceramic Tiles And Ceramic Machinery Manufacturers
Author: John Watson
2. A Quick Look At Tamarind Global & Its Corporate Event Solutions
Author: Rohit Tigga
3. All You Should Know About Replacement Of Car Registration
Author: ABA Auto Registration
4. 3 Points That Make “tamarind Global An Undisputed Player Of Global Event Management Industry
Author: Rohit Tigga
5. Painting Contractors, Local Interior Exterior Painters And House Paint - Danbury
Author: Mario Couto
6. Professional Cleaning Services, Cleaning Supplies And Carpet Deep Spring Cleaners - Ca
Author: Daniel Flores
7. Office Cleaning – Let The Professionals To Handle This Big Mission
Author: Cassie Smitty
8. Why Should You Opt For A Professional Furnace Repair Service?
9. Buying The Necessary Garden Supplies To Maintain Your Garden In Good Shape
Author: Huia Moffat
10. Outsource Standard Engineering Services
Author: Shashank Vaidya
11. Best Range Rover Service Center In Dubai
Author: Land Max Auto
12. Inspection Of Shop Front Breakdown And Their Repairing
Author: Grace Smith
13. Shift Your Workplace With The Best Moving Services In Usa
Author: John Brown
14. How To Lessen Extra Luggage During Relocation
Author: Rajesh Kumar
15. Verdek - Your Solution To Scarce Electric Car Charging Stations