ALL >> Business >> View Article
The Legend Of The Devil’s Brigade
Total Articles: 21
They were one among the most fearsome elite forces during the World War II. Such was their ability to strike fear, that the Germans dubbed them - the devil’s brigade. They even inspired a Hollywood movie by the same name. Who were they, and why are their tales legendary?
The 1St Special Service Force:
The 1st Special Service Force was the first and the only joint US/Canadian unit ever created in history. They were an elite force made up of around 1600 volunteers who were primarily lumberjacks, forest rangers, hunters, and game wardens. They were trained at Fort Harrison, Helena. Why Helena? Secrecy was paramount for their mission. It was believed that Hitler would never have to worry about an elite army training in one of the quaintest mining towns in the US. The Force was commanded by Lt. Col. Robert Frederick, much loved by his team.
What made them special?
They were known for their stealth and could move in complete silence through any terrain. Some of them were wilderness experts; they could travel very long distances without food or rest, and carry loads several times their weight. The unit was trained in hand to hand combat, using explosives, rock climbing, and mountain fighting. Their weapon of choice was a specially designed fighting knife called the V-42 – a double-edged combat knife that could quietly and quickly penetrate a steel helmet with a single thrust.
Why were they called the devil’s brigade?
It was at Monte la Difensa where they earned their first major victory and a reputation of taking over impenetrable enemy targets. Here the soldiers had to make an almost vertical ascent on a treacherous terrain in the middle of the night when it was raining almost incessantly. Here, they surprised the army by sneaking behind them, taking them by surprise. They also earned laurels during Operation Shingle at Anzio. In fact, it was here that they earned their nicknames, the devil’s brigade, and the black devils. They were known to leave cards that were printed with Ende kommt noch, or the worst is yet to come. The forces were also known to smear their enemy’s face with black boot polish. They fought at Anzio for 99 days without relief.
Author Bio : The Author loves reading WWI history, especially about the 1st Special Service Force, aka, the devil’s brigade. Visit http://themaritimeexplorer.ca/2016/11/24/anzio-devils-brigade/
Business Articles1. Tiles Style Guide For Your Home Interior Décor!
Author: Ruchir Jethva
2. What Are Gst’s Seven Deadly Defects?
Author: Mohit Yadev
3. The Asean (association Of Southeast Asian Nations) Automotive Composites Market Is Expected To Grow
Author: Lucintel LLC
4. The Expanding Scope And Sphere Of Artificial Intelligence
Author: Avaali Solutions
5. Best Performance Based Software Development Company
6. Tips To Choose A Interior Designers For Home
Author: Anny winslet
7. 5 Tips To Find A Notable Insurance Accident Repair Centre!
Author: Rob Porter
8. How Can You Set Your Mark In The World Of Construction Using Online Business Directories?
Author: John Smith
9. Buy Cheap Assignment Online
10. Vilnius Activities & Tours
11. An Introduction To Thermal Spray
Author: Ross Barkely
12. How To Find The Best Towbar Accessories Suppliers In Australia
Author: Charles Manfredi
13. How To Gain Good Profit On Comex Signals By Gold Crude Research
Author: Gold Crude Research
14. Uk's Largest Canopies And Walkways Supplier
15. Residential Pest Control - How You Can Prevent Insect Problems
Author: Michael Gray