ALL >> Home-Based-Business >> View Article
How To Build A Strong Retaining Wall
Total Articles: 2
When the question of placing or building a retaining wall comes, that fact is that it is not limited to its function and aesthetic appeal only. With a wide variety of materials being available for the retaining walls, you can easily stylize your home in the way you want.
Role of a Retaining Wall
A retaining wall is mainly used to hold back the soil and the roots of the plants together. This helps to prevent soil erosion. It can be used in areas where there is a steep elevation of the property and it can cause landslides.
Types of Material Used For Retaining Walls
Based on your budget and style, you can easily choose any kind of materials for the retaining walls.
• Stone walls come in a variety of shapes and sizes. It can easily complement any kind of style of the yard. It is popular for elevation changes.
• Brick walls are ideal for traditional homes and landscapes.
• Inter-locking walls can offer a perfect blend with the garden landscape. They are designed in such a way so that it can offer maximum strength.
Once you know the basics you can easily customize the retaining walls according to your need or ask the retaining wall services to do so.
Understanding Interlocking Retaining Walls
Among the various available, interlocking concrete blocks are very popular. The blocks come with a locking flange that makes the installation process very easy. With the interlocking blocks, walls up to 28 inches high can be easily built.
In order to place this block, you will need to have a proper layout plan. Make sure the retaining walls do not have any downspouts. If the downspout is present against the house then you will need to keep the soil and mulch very below the siding.
How to Prepare the Foundation?
Step 1: Once the layout is marked, then you can start digging the trench. For burying the first row around halfway, you must dig the trench about 4-6 inches deep with a width of 12 inches.
Step 2: If the trench is in a sloping position, you need to step up or down in order to keep the blocks in level. A torpedo level can be used for creating steps to ensure that each section of the wall stays level. Make sure the wall is not running parallel to the slope.
Step 3: Then you will need to tamp the dirt down with the help of a hand tamper. This will ensure that its level.
Step 4: You will have to fill up the trench with paver base of around 3 inches. Spread it around with a rake and wedge it down. By tamping the base, you can ensure a strong foundation. After the foundation is in level, then you can start to install the blocks.
Step 5: Providers of retaining wall services will start placing the inter-locking concrete blocks from the visible edges of the wall and if necessary will cut off the edges. They will continue this process for the entire layout.
Home Based Business Articles1. How To Move The Eco-friendly Way?
2. Pillowandmattress Has Lot To Offer In Quick Time
3. The Bathroom Radiators Are Your Best Friend On A Cold Wintry Day
Author: Radiator Designer
4. Why Should You Hire An Interior Designer/fabmodula?
5. Karva Chauth-dry Fruit Trays Manufacturer In Ludhiana
Author: Ashirwad Handicrafts
6. Window Installation Is A Wise Investment
7. Maintain Your Ac With The Best And Professional Air Con Cleaning Services
Author: Kevin Marksteiner
8. Top Residential Interior Designers In Bangalore
9. How To Paint Your Wall
10. Season Up Your Interiors!
Author: Fab Modula
11. Necessity Of Lethbridge Home Inspection Near Me For New Homes
Author: Mark Henry is the author of this article.
12. What Would Happen If You Fail To Choose The Right Contractor ?
Author: Leo Garcia
13. What Are The Benefits Of Portable Ac Cleaning Services With Professional Help?
Author: Kevin Marksteiner
14. Mattress Stores In Toronto
15. What You Need To Know About The Heating Service North Vancouver
Author: John Smith