ALL >> Health >> View Article
Stereotactic Radiosurgery: When It’s Recommended In Trigeminal Neuralgia
Total Articles: 16
Treating the pain caused by trigeminal neuralgia may require earlier surgical intervention, researchers are findings. The use of stereotactic radiosurgery is often reserved for when all other treatment options available have not produced the desired results. After all, some patients may find their pain subsides when drug interventions are used. Surgery, however, is considered highly effective, but there might be a window on its effectiveness.
A recent study revealed that stereotactic radiosurgery, also called gamma knife surgery, works best when employed within the first three years of pain onset. Since this particular form of therapy has a highly successful track record for reducing and/or eliminating the pain associated with trigeminal neuralgia, its use should probably be considered sooner rather than later, the study revealed.
Trigeminal neuralgia is a chronic pain condition that involves the trigeminal nerve. This particular nerve is responsible for carrying sensations from the face directly to the brain. When neuralgia is present, even the slightest touch on the face can produce sensations of extreme pain. While this disease has a number of potential treatments, stereotactic radiosurgery is one of the most promising.
Gamma knife surgery involves the use of a highly focused dose of radiation. The beam is projected directly at the root of the trigeminal nerve in order to damage it. This process delivers relief when other options have failed to do so. The recent study, however, suggests that longer term outcomes are much more positive when the surgery is used as an intervention more quickly after diagnosis. When it is performed within the three-year window, researchers found patients experienced longer and more complete pain relief.
Living with the pain and discomfort of trigeminal neuralgia is nothing to relish. While a variety of treatments are available, some tend to prove more successful than others. Gamma knife surgery is one of the options that deliver strong results. To find out more about its use in treating this chronic condition, speak with a healthcare provider. Even patients outside the three-year window may find this surgery offers relief that other measures have failed to provide.
Lewisville/Flower Mound Oncology Group, a division of Choice Cancer Care – is an independently owned and operated oncology practice that is completely focused on unique, comprehensive patient care.
Health Articles1. How To Save Money With Modafinil ?
Author: Jeppe Keisar
2. Antioxidants And Male Organ Health: The Impact Of Free Radicals On Male Function
Author: John Dugan
3. Top Reasons Why Athletes Should See A Sports Medicine Doctor
Author: Jexy Rodriguez
4. Neck Pain Treatment Via Chiropractic Care
Author: Jexy Rodriguez
5. How Sinus And Migraine Can Make You Miserable
6. Harmful Effects Of Sleep Deprivation And Disturbed Sleep
7. A Realistic Picture Of Weight Loss Through Indica Strain!
Author: kurt Martin
8. 4 Best Benefits You Should Hire Personal Health Care In Bloomfield, Ct For Elders
Author: Pat Ackeifi RN
9. Biography Of Mesothelioma
Author: FARHAN MALIM
10. Counselling In South West London For Men – 4 Reasons To Think About It
Author: Richard Gosling
11. 6 Important Physiotherapy Tips That Can Minimize Your Back Pain
Author: Sumitha Hemavathy
12. Practicing Yoga With Associate Degree Disorder
Author: Samantha Garrett
13. Stay In Best Health With Salveo’s Noni Capsules And Juice
14. Yoga Throught Times Of Modification
Author: Michelle Garrett
15. Join Occupational First Aid Course To Respond And Save Lives In Medical Emergency Conditions