ALL >> Health >> View Article
Stereotactic Radiosurgery: When It’s Recommended In Trigeminal Neuralgia
Total Articles: 17
Treating the pain caused by trigeminal neuralgia may require earlier surgical intervention, researchers are findings. The use of stereotactic radiosurgery is often reserved for when all other treatment options available have not produced the desired results. After all, some patients may find their pain subsides when drug interventions are used. Surgery, however, is considered highly effective, but there might be a window on its effectiveness.
A recent study revealed that stereotactic radiosurgery, also called gamma knife surgery, works best when employed within the first three years of pain onset. Since this particular form of therapy has a highly successful track record for reducing and/or eliminating the pain associated with trigeminal neuralgia, its use should probably be considered sooner rather than later, the study revealed.
Trigeminal neuralgia is a chronic pain condition that involves the trigeminal nerve. This particular nerve is responsible for carrying sensations from the face directly to the brain. When neuralgia is present, even the slightest touch on the face can produce sensations of extreme pain. While this disease has a number of potential treatments, stereotactic radiosurgery is one of the most promising.
Gamma knife surgery involves the use of a highly focused dose of radiation. The beam is projected directly at the root of the trigeminal nerve in order to damage it. This process delivers relief when other options have failed to do so. The recent study, however, suggests that longer term outcomes are much more positive when the surgery is used as an intervention more quickly after diagnosis. When it is performed within the three-year window, researchers found patients experienced longer and more complete pain relief.
Living with the pain and discomfort of trigeminal neuralgia is nothing to relish. While a variety of treatments are available, some tend to prove more successful than others. Gamma knife surgery is one of the options that deliver strong results. To find out more about its use in treating this chronic condition, speak with a healthcare provider. Even patients outside the three-year window may find this surgery offers relief that other measures have failed to provide.
Lewisville/Flower Mound Oncology Group, a division of Choice Cancer Care – is an independently owned and operated oncology practice that is completely focused on unique, comprehensive patient care.
Health Articles1. Stress Attack - Why You Will Need Help Now!
2. Hypnotherapy For Depressive Disorder For Permanent Results
3. How To Handle Stress And Manage Avoidance
4. Easy Ways Of Managing Your Anxiety
5. Best Choices For Severe Depressive Management
6. Anxiety Management During Stress
7. Anxiety Management - Four Tricks You Can Start Using Today
8. Dry Rubbing And The Death Grip: Self-pleasuring Problems To Avoid
Author: John Dugan
9. Neck, Shoulder And Pain Management
Author: Mahesh Singh
10. Old Age Home Provides Love , Respect And ,carefree Life To Senior Citizens
Author: shiv ganga senior
11. Technology In Medical Industry
12. How Many Sessions For Tattoo Removal?
Author: hifza nauman
13. Where To Buy Phentermine 37.5 Mg Online In Oregon
14. Aromatic Revival Of Mind, Body And Soul With Therapeutic Massage
Author: Vicky Mamoria
15. 5 Ways Seniors Can Boost Their Energy
Author: Jane Doe