ALL >> Health >> View Article
Radiation After Surgery May Help Lung Cancer Patients
Total Articles: 17
An estimated 221,200 new cases of lung cancer are diagnosed in the United States each year. The American Cancer Society estimates that roughly 158,000 people succumb to the disease annually. A new study is shedding light on a treatment protocol that may help patients enjoy a better prognosis with this often deadly disease.
The study, conducted by University Hospital Heidelberg in Germany, focused on 78 patients with incompletely resected non-small cell lung cancer. Each of the patients underwent post-operative radiation therapy between 2001 and 2014. Most of the patients in the study had locally advanced tumor stages, researchers noted. A total of 21 patients also underwent chemotherapy after surgery. The median follow-up period in the study was 17.7 months.
At the three-year mark, researchers noted encouraging findings for patients who underwent radiation therapy to improve post-surgical tumor control. Overall survival rates were recorded at 34.1 percent. Progression-free survival came in at 29.1 percent. Local progression-free survival rates were 44.9 percent and distant progression-free survival was 51.9 percent.
Versus patients who did not undergo post-operative radiation therapy, researchers say, the numbers showed significant improvement. Although more study is required, the findings in Germany may support more aggressive use of post-surgery radiation therapy in lung cancer cases to help improve survival rates and lower the chance of progression.
People who are at risk for lung cancer are urged to discuss this condition with their healthcare providers. Early detection can lead to life-saving intervention. Early screening is typically provided only to those who display significant risk factors for lung cancer, including long-term, heavy smokers. Lifestyle choices, such as smoking, and family history may play a role in the development of this disease. Those who are diagnosed with lung cancer should carefully review all treatment options with their healthcare providers. The best recommendations will come from a doctor with access to detailed information in a unique case.
Lewisville/Flower Mound Oncology Group, a division of Choice Cancer Care – is an independently owned and operated oncology practice that is completely focused on unique, comprehensive patient care.
Health Articles1. Stress Attack - Why You Will Need Help Now!
2. Hypnotherapy For Depressive Disorder For Permanent Results
3. How To Handle Stress And Manage Avoidance
4. Easy Ways Of Managing Your Anxiety
5. Best Choices For Severe Depressive Management
6. Anxiety Management During Stress
7. Anxiety Management - Four Tricks You Can Start Using Today
8. Dry Rubbing And The Death Grip: Self-pleasuring Problems To Avoid
Author: John Dugan
9. Neck, Shoulder And Pain Management
Author: Mahesh Singh
10. Old Age Home Provides Love , Respect And ,carefree Life To Senior Citizens
Author: shiv ganga senior
11. Technology In Medical Industry
12. How Many Sessions For Tattoo Removal?
Author: hifza nauman
13. Where To Buy Phentermine 37.5 Mg Online In Oregon
14. Aromatic Revival Of Mind, Body And Soul With Therapeutic Massage
Author: Vicky Mamoria
15. 5 Ways Seniors Can Boost Their Energy
Author: Jane Doe