ALL >> Home-and-Garden >> View Article
Granite Sealing – Importance, Types And Advantages
Total Articles: 16
Granite counter tops with their color and natural characteristics add a touch of distinction to your home. They are invulnerable to heat and last for a lifetime. Despite its hard surface, granite is riddled with small cracks and fissures which become permeated with debris and stain the finish if not maintained properly.
Granite sealing is an application of low VOC (volatile organic compound) formulation which soaks down in to the stone, preventing the counter top from breathing and retards staining and corrosion.
Importance of sealing granite counter tops
• The porous nature of granite allows absorption of damaging liquids such as oils, water borne salts and water. These particles cause the building material to depreciate prematurely and in doing so they reduce their usefulness.
• The main purpose of sealing granite counter tops periodically after its installation is to fill down the natural fissures and prevent them from deterioration and staining.
Sealing the granite counter top prevents it from,
• Loss of strength
• Efflorescence: It is usually the water carrying mineral salts that exists naturally, which rise from below the surface of the stone and then evaporate. While evaporating, it leaves the white powdery substance behind on the stone surface.
• Salt attack: It is one of the common problems most noticeable on unprotected installed stones. When the water evaporates, the minerals remain over the surface and grow in a crystalline form creating massive pressure within the top layer thus resulting in salt attack.
• Freeze-thaw cycles: This results when the water present in the surface pores freeze. Due to freezing, water expands causing the stone to crumble or crack.
• Acid Attack: Milk, cola, wine, lemon juice and vinegar are few products which contain mild acids and can lead to damage of vulnerable types of stone.
Types of sealers
• The two main groups of sealers are topical sealers and penetrating sealers
• Topical sealers: These are thin film coatings easily applied to granite counter tops. They protect the counter tops from corroding, staining, etching, scuffing and scratching.
• Applying a topical sealer between the penetrating sealer applications is a superior way to prevent etching and corroding, in case, if calcite is present in your granite counter tops.
• Penetrating sealers: These are resin based sealers also known as impregnators or penetrants. As the name suggests, it penetrates in to the microscopic cavities and cracks of the counter tops.
• The main purpose is to block the contaminants from getting in to the stone and simultaneously driving out the interior moisture.
• Impregnators are one type which can either be water based or solvent based. The water or solvent acts as a carrier for taking the chemicals into the stone. As the carrier evaporates, the active ingredients present in the sealer remains in the stone and do their job.
• An oleophobic impregnator repels water or oil based liquids whereas a hydrophobic impregnator repels water based liquids.
Advantages of using Granite Sealing
• It seals the counter top surface from penetrating dirt and liquids (oils, grease).
• It protects the granite surface from weathering and staining.
• It creates a more hygienic surface
• It renders a smoother surface and permeates the porous surface thus making it easier to clean and maintain.
• Finally, Sealing restores or add glaze to your granite counter tops with a beautiful finish.
While granite counter tops make a favorite choice due to their durability and beauty, they are not resistant to damage. Regular care includes effective cleaning and use of sealers to give a hygienic and beautiful look.
Allied Stone, Inc. specializes in unique and customized kitchen countertops and bathroom vanities. We offer granite, marble, onyx and soapstone countertops. Our kitchen countertops have the highest quality stone and best level of workmanship. If you are looking for countertops using the keywords kitchen countertops Houston, Allied Stone can be an ideal choice.
Home and Garden Articles1. Qualities In An Interior Designing Firm In Mumbai
Author: Santosh Rana
2. Seven Things You See At The Gym
3. Install A Frameless Glass Balustrade In Your House For A Perfect Modern Outlook
Author: Chloe Kellaway
4. Ideas On Common Bathroom Mixer Tap Issues And Their Solutions
Author: Luca Estell
5. How You Can Chop Down Your Home’s Energy Bill With Window Replacement In Edmonton?
Author: Bryson Kaleb
6. Beat The Winters: Heating Contractors In Nampa
7. What Can You Do To Save The Chimney From Perishing Earlier Than Anticipated?
Author: Brayden Haritos
8. 9 Maintenance Tips To Extend The Life Of Your Log Splitter
Author: Michael Foley
9. Which One Is Better- Marble Or Granite Countertops?
Author: Riley Evans
10. Best King Size Down Comforter
Author: Rick Smith
11. Design Options For Horse Barns
Author: Bryson Kaleb
12. Diy Blinds Made Simple
Author: Jennifer Williams
13. Entrust The Task Of Building Garages In Arlington, Va With A Professional Company
Author: Bryson Kaleb
14. Find The Very Best Suggestions To Meet Your Floor Service Requirement Within An Easier Way
Author: Partha Goswami
15. Metal Storage Rack Creates An Outstanding Ambience
Author: Swayam India