ALL >> Health >> View Article
Diabetes Mellitus And Psychological Factors
Total Articles: 26
What is Diabetes mellitus? This metabolic disorder is commonly caused by reduced sensitivity to insulin. But, this lifestyle disorder is related to several other aspects of life. So, when you seek information about diabetes, understand it holistically. Most people understand the physical aspect of it. Few understand the component of non-compliance or non-adherence. But, several studies dictate that behavioural and psychological factors affect the outcome of diabetes. Evidence has shown that diabetes mellitus and comorbid depression lead to poor metabolic control. It is significantly poorer than metabolic control in diabetes patients without comorbid depression. It can lower the compliance to medication and dietary recommendations. Therefore, you must gather the information about diabetes and psychological factors while consulting.
Primary challenges due to psychological factors:
The biggest challenge is non-compliance to diabetes care. It can be exhibited in the following forms.
• Disregard to meal plans
• Neglecting suitable intake of medication
• Inadequate care of feet, eyes and more
• Insufficient amount of exercise
• Faulty blood glucose testing
Non-adherence to diabetes care can be a manifestation of depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and dependence on alcohol or nicotine. Patients dictate a certain amount of non-adherence due to illness, stress, and emotional trouble. But, non-compliance to ideal diabetes care is attributed to lack of diabetes information. But, these psychological disorders can cause non-compliance, which leads to poor glycemic control and diabetes-related health complications. If you understand what diabetes mellitus is, you do not want to incur the affiliated health complications.
Solution to psychological barriers to optimal diabetes care:
Evidence suggests that depression affects one out of every five diabetes patients. The common symptoms of depression may not get noticed because of their similarity. So, the prevalence of psychological factors affecting diabetics is undeniable. A proper psychological care allows patients to reduce non-compliance and inculcate diabetes-friendly health habits. But, it can improve the overall outlook towards this disorder too. Family and the diabetes patient must consult a doctor before considering these treatments. Here are available options nevertheless.
• Intervention to improve personal relationships:
• Information about diabetes suggests that lack of social support and relationship problems are associated with poor metabolic control.
• Thus, intervention in therapeutic group setting will help a diabetes patient.
• Psychosomatic treatment: A doctor may consider this mode of treatment if it has been proven effective and patient does not have an acute crisis. This treatment can include relieving feelings of blame; accepting the patient’s behaviour, positive reinforcements of non-depressive cognitions, etc.
• Pharmacological therapy
Gather essential diabetes information to fight your battles against the psychological challenges. Understand what diabetes mellitus is and scope of diabetes allied problems. Then, you will take it under advisement as quickly as possible.
About the Author
Sowmya K is a certified dietician, who designs diet for diabetes patients specifically. But, she also has a keen passion for writing. So, she shares information about diabetes by answering questions like what is diabetes mellitus, diabetes-related health complications, how to use diabetes information to spread awareness, etc.
Health Articles1. Does It Help To Outsource Provider Credentialing Services?
2. Quickest Air Ambulance Service In Dibrugarh With Advanced Medical Equipments
Author: Dr Mukesh Kumar
3. Male Organ Function Tips For Weekend Sensual Warriors
Author: John Dugan
4. आयुर्वेद के माध्यम से पीठ दर्द और उनके घरेलू उपचार
Author: Dr Nitesh Khonde
5. Men Too Suffer From Hair Problems And This Is How To Solve Them
Author: Kabea Global
6. Global Surgical Equipment Market Trend
7. The Emergency Dental Care - Know When It's Urgent
Author: Raphael Leo
8. Appropriate Supplement For The Progression On Eye Disease
Author: Blake Andrus
9. Benefits Of Orthodontics In Phoenix
Author: John Marker
10. Impact Of Air Conditioners On Health
Author: Thomas Martinez
11. Herbal Pain Relief Gel Is The Best Solution For Your Sore Body
Author: Shashikant Shukla
12. Natural And Necessary Food For Heart Health
Author: NAVEEN KHANDELWAL
13. Benefits Of Pediatric Dentistry In Golden Valley
Author: Richard Brown
14. Top Dentistry Conferences | Emedevents
15. Upcoming Conferences For Cardiology In 2018