ALL >> Travel >> View Article
Take The Uso Dmz Tour For A Good Perspective Of The Demilitarized Zone
Total Articles: 3
The truce that ended the terrible Korean War from 1950 to 1953 divided Korea into North and South Korea. They are partitioned by the DMZ or the ‘demilitarized zone.’ This is considered a buffer region in order to thwart direct military clashes. This 992 sq.km region is covered with mountains, valleys, plains and basins.
A Tour of the Demilitarized Zone
A DMZ tour is one of the most popular tourist attractions. The irony is the peace and quiet that prevails here; yet it is considered one of the most perilous places in the world. This is technically true as the hillsides and mountains bristles with guards, troops, missiles, tankers and land mines. However, you will be fascinated by the tranquility and quietness, the verdant green hills and the untouched marshlands. The most interesting part of the trip is the ‘third tunnel.’ It is 1635 meters long and 73m deep and can accommodate about 30,000 people. The ‘Dora Observatory’ is built on Mount Dora or Dorasan. The Panmunjom area is the only place where tourists are allowed. You can visit a train station here which is deserted except for tourists.
A Tour of the Region by USO
If you wish to visit the demilitarized region, you can only use the USO DMZ tour. Individuals are not permitted and bookings have to be made in advance. You can see the ‘Joint Security Area’ or JSA and the 3rd tunnel discovered in 1978. Photographers are not permitted. It is advisable to use the USO for your tour as they are not only safe but permits entry into the JSA. Here you can see blue buildings and it is here that formal discussions between North and South Korea take place. From the popular Dora Observatory you can see some parts of North Korea with binoculars. Most of the USO journeys start-off at Camp Bonifas which is a major military installation.
Popular USO Trips
A USO tour of the demilitarized region is recommended as they provide absolute safety; a member of the UN Command military personnel guides you through the trip. Moreover, you will get the most recent information on the requirements for visitors in the region. The advantage of using the ‘United Service Organization’ is that it gives an American perspective. They give you instructions about the strict protocol to be observed. The tour leaves from Camp Kim situated in Seoul. The highlights include a visit to Panmunjom, a village in the province of Gyeonggi. The Dora Observatory, the 3rd Tunnel and the Dorasan train station are the other highlights. These guided trips will give you a good perspective of the circumstances, tensions and the after-effects of the Korean War.
Travel Articles1. How To Make Cheap Holidays To Barbados Exciting
Author: Daisy Wilkinson
2. Enjoy Your Excursion Via Top Notch Peak Climbing In Nepal
3. Which Turkish City Should You Visit First, Istanbul Or Ankara?
4. Get Customized Everest Base Camp Trekking Packages Adventure Experience
5. Stansted Airport Taxi Services That Are Better Than The Best
Author: Jack Pero
6. Pick Nepal Trekking To Get Unforgettable Fun And Enjoyment Forever
Author: Life Himalaya Trekking
7. Enjoy Visiting Everest Base Camp Trek And Spend Holidays Happily
Author: Life Himalaya Trekking
8. Simple Travel List For Business Travelers
Author: Abinaya Kannan
9. Sri Lanka: How The Country Eventually Got Its Name?
Author: Sri Lanka Eta Visa
10. 4 Reasons To Drop Everything And Visit Melbourne, Australia
11. Pick The Reliable Gosaikunda Trekking And Have Adventure Skills
12. Get Amazing Entertainment In Everest Base Camp Trekking
13. Make Your Trekking Experience Highly Memorable By Planning For An Expedition
14. Enjoy Trekking In Nepal By Choosing The Best Trekking Company
15. Find Best Morocco Destination Management Company For A Wonderful Holiday Experience In Morocco