ALL >> Shopping-Product-Reviews >> View Article
Sleeveless Basketball Uniforms Are Still Here To Stay
Total Articles: 11
Basketball jerseys, since the 1920s, have been—and always will be—devoid of sleeves (at least for men's basketball). However, the tradition was momentarily interrupted in 2013 when the Golden State Warriors players donned short-sleeved jerseys as alternate uniforms for some games. Designed by Adidas, the new style was said to be lighter than traditional jerseys while allowing a full range of motion.
What did the players think of it? LeBron James "can't shoot with these," Dirk Nowitzki called it "awful," and Robin Lopez called for a "mass burning." Clearly,
sleeveless basketball uniforms are still the quintessential sportswear for the pros. Forget full range of motion; sleeves got in the way of their rebounds and shots.
It's clear that basketball jerseys were made sleeveless for unrestrained movements, but a historical view of the uniform's evolution is still in order. The uniform’s initial purpose was to help basketball teams identify their teammates. It became apparent in the 1900s, shortly after the birth of James Naismith's brainchild.
Until the 1930s, the first jersey featured a button crotch to keep jerseys tucked, making it look like the predecessor of the one-piece swimsuit. It may look odd now, but it was the trend at the time. Over time, only the materials used in making the jerseys changed--synthetic fiber replaced wool. The sleeveless jersey remained.
In fact, the shorts underwent more changes than the tops. Before Michael Jordan asked to make shorts longer and baggier to have something to hold on to when out of breath, the shorts worn by older legends like Wilt Chamberlain and Magic Johnson were at mid-length, allowing for a lot of leg exposure.
In 2013, James sat down with NBA officials to speak his mind regarding the sleeved jerseys. Despite statistics showing "nominal difference" in shooting percentages while wearing sleeved and sleeveless jerseys, James spoke on his fellow players' behalf. In fact, New York Knicks' Beno Udrih had to roll up his sleeves after missing a three-point shot during a game that year.
In the end, players wearing sleeved jerseys end up yearning for their sleeveless tops by rolling up the sleeves. Sleeveless jerseys just feel different. The traditional
basketball team uniforms won't be going away anytime soon--be it professional or amateur. To know more about how today's jersey came to be, visit basketball.epicsports.com.
Shopping/Product Reviews Articles1. Discover Rich & Premium Cushion Cover Designs For Your Space
Author: Address Home
2. Midnight Cake Delivery | Online Cake Delivery In Ahmedabad
Author: Malav Fadia
3. 5 Reasons Why Miyamiya (privilege) Gift Card Is The Wedding Gifts For Your Dear Ones
4. Tips To Choose The Right Travel Bag In India
Author: Daffodil Industries
5. How To Choose Bags From The Online Suppliers
Author: Daffodil Industries
6. Buying A Laptop Gets Simple And Quick With Buy-now-pay-later Payment Models
7. The Journey Of A Century-old Tradition Of Christmas Tree Decoration
Author: Lilian Congreve
8. Show Your Everlasting Gratitude With Beautiful Crystal Gifts
Author: Tony Astely
9. A Guide To Take Your Buffet To New Heights With Ultra-modern Buffet Displays
Author: Brendan Lee
10. Windproof Baby Sling Can Be A Very Vital Addition For Your Collection Of Baby’s Accessories!
Author: James Justin
11. Who Is Better In Selecting Gifts, Men Or Women?
Author: Andrew Wilson
12. Your Search For A Flower Partner For Your Dream Wedding Ends At Flower Delivery North Hollywood
Author: Jim Keck
13. Armani Exchange Hampton Diamond Accent Quartz Ax2169 Men's Watch
Author: Adam D
14. Different Designs, Patterns And Fabrics Available - Find Tops For Girls Online
Author: Anil Pal
15. Sarees Collections With Price