ALL >> Food,-Cooking-and-Drink >> View Article
The Magical, Universal Appeal Of Tacos
Total Articles: 18
It’s not just the Millennial generation that loves tacos in new, upscale versions. Now party and event planners and busy parents alike make tacos a mealtime and event centerpiece.
In food trends, the new things rarely start at the top. National chains such as McDonald’s, Pizza Hut and Applebee’s don’t invent new food trends as much as they pick up on what smaller chains and independent restaurants are succeeding with. While that suggests they are late to the party, larger chains have the ability to bring that party to more people. What might be an ethnic dish known only to a minority of Americans can sometimes become the food of choice for all Americans eventually. Consider how once a “pizza pie” was a rarity in the U.S., getting its biggest boost from returning World War II soldiers who had spent post-War time in Italy.
The action right now is in better, upscale tacos. Taco Bell, with its 6,500 restaurants in the U.S. alone, is pretty much known for its lower-price, mass-taste offerings. Then along came Chipotle Grill, serving a fresher, tastier product in decidedly hipper surroundings – siphoning off customers from Taco Bell as well as casual dining restaurants. Not to be outdone, Taco Bell’s parent company YUM Brands announced in April 2014 that they were testing a new restaurant concept they’re calling U.S. Taco. The new restaurant, located in Huntington Beach, California, is selling $4 premium tacos with ingredients that include fried chicken breast, lobster and red cabbage slaw.
The proliferation of Latin-themed food trucks in Southern California and the whole of the West Coast, as well as mobile taco catering carts at large corporate and fundraising events, further paints a picture of the “Great American Taco Takeover”.
Whether or not U.S. Taco goes beyond a test market remains to be seen. But the broad appeal of tacos in all forms – lower market, mid-price and gourmet – is now pretty much established. Tacos represent much of what diners are looking for, which is the sensory pleasure of a tortilla shell, hearty ingredients (including crunchy vegetables) and a piquant touch from citrus with hot spices. Regardless of ethnic background, these are tastes that appeal to a broad demographic spread among people of different backgrounds, nationalities, ages and food traditions.
There’s a convenience factor as well with tacos: They are largely a one-hand way to eat. While perhaps not advisable for eating while driving (or biking, as is sometimes the case), tacos allow the diner to keep the other hand free for holding a beverage, a cell phone or the leash of a pet. For event planners, tacos are an easy choice (those on-site catering carts make almost any venue food-friendly) because of the broad appeal of the item. Thirty years ago diners in Orange County might not have known how to hold a taco – today gourmet tacos are served at weddings and corporate events.
Food, Cooking and Drink Articles1. 5 Fun Facts You Should Know About Bubble Tea
Author: Rosario Berry
2. Where Does Bubble Tea In New York And New Jersey Originate From?
Author: Rosario Berry
3. Mushroom Cultivation In Kolkata With Huge Success
Author: Kanchan Das
4. How To Choose A Cheap Herbal Vaporizer That’s Right For You
Author: Benjamin Winterburn
5. Confused With The Menu For Your Birthday Party? Try Wood Fired Pizza!
Author: Laurie Hekeik
6. Tips And Tricks For Mastering Vaping With Salt Juice Flavors
Author: Gaius Monteyro
7. How To Get Sports And Cooking Camps For Kids In San Francisco
Author: Craig Arnold
8. Can You Eat Tea Leaves? If So, Here’s How And Why?
Author: Vipul Makwana
9. Surprising Health Benefits Of Regular Wine (moderate) Consumption
Author: Vicky Mamoria
10. Meet Your Cooking Related Needs In An Effortless Manner While Using These Cooking Accessories!
Author: Steve Mize
11. South Indian Cuisine: Much More Than Idlis & Dosas
12. Smoked Cheese Market By Product Type, Expert Opinion, Technology, End User Application, Major Driver
Author: Akash Shahu
13. Benefits Of Eating Healthy Food
14. Benefits Of Pure Desi Ghee
Author: Priyanka Awasthi
15. Buy Chocolates Online From Kanan Devan