ALL >> Health >> View Article
What To Do If Your Child Is Diagnosed With Juvenile Scoliosis?
Total Articles: 38
Scoliosis is the disorder of the spine, where the spine curves abnormally to one side. Juvenile scoliosis affects individuals between the ages of 3 to 10 years. If your child is diagnosed with juvenile scoliosis, then information about the disorder and scoliosis treatment in this article will help you.
The child will be asked to bend forward and try to touch the toes. When he does that, the extent of the curvature of the spine is seen. Depending on the extent of the curve of the spine, the best possible treatment to adjust the spine is prescribed. X – Ray Scans will also be taken before, during and after the treatment to record and document the prognosis of the scoliosis treatment and whether it is making a difference.
Causes and risk factors
Normally the cause for scoliosis is idiopathic,which essentially means “unknown”. If any member of the family has suffered from this previously, then there is a high likelihood that the next generation will suffer from the same disorder. Girls are more likely to be affected by this disorder than boys, in that girls tend to have a progressively larger scoliosis Curve when compared to boys, who tend to have small spinal curves. This may lead to other problems if it not treated properly.
The frequency of scoliosis is as follows:
• Curves measuring at least 10° occur in 1.5% to 3.0% of the population
• Curves exceeding 20° occur in 0.3% to 0.5% of the population
• Curves exceeding 30° occur in 0.2% to 0.3% of the population
The initial symptom of juvenile scoliosis is a slight curve in the spine. This may progress to an ‘S’ shaped curve or a ‘C’ shaped curve, with each being curved to varying degrees. These symptoms are not normally painful; however, if they are not detected early, they will progress to such a stage where they will cause problems with the major organs in the chest area. If the curve extends more than 50 degrees, the lungs and the heart are the first organs that get compressed thus reducing their capacity to perform.
The scoliosis treatment is very simple, but needs to be started for the patient at an early age or as soon as it is detected. Since the body of the affected child is in a stage where it is growing and has not reached the full skeletal maturity, it is quite possible if the disorder is not treated with the right scoliosis treatment, it can cause further harm. Normally a brace is used to prevent the disorder from progressing further. This brace also guides the spine to grown a restricted yet controlled environment and thus aid in the helping of this problem.
Dr.Sejal Thakkar, A Spine Consultant at Qi Spine Clinic, She is driven by the goal of achieving excellence in clinical practice by constantly updating her knowledge and has a special interest in movement analysis and done several workshops on Kinetic Control-Movement solutions and scoliosis treatment. http://www.qispine.com/conditions-we-treat/scoliosis/
Health Articles1. Itchy Manhood? Use Shea Butter And Vitamin E
Author: John Dugan
2. Porcelain Veneers: What Are They And Why You Might Need Them
3. Dental Professionals – Do You Need To Have A Trusting Relationship
4. Why You Will Need Emergency Dental Care
5. Things To Remember When Choosing The Best Dental Professional For Your Loved Ones
6. The Things To Reflect On Before Selecting A Dental Professional That Can Meet All Your Requirements
7. Don't Fear The Dentist - Beating Your Dental Stress
8. Indications Of A Bad Dentist
9. Best Tips To Choosing A Family Dental Expert
10. Regular Dental Cleaning - Why It Is Necessary
11. Top Five Reasons To Truly Have Periodic Dental Cleaning Done
12. Get Emergency Medical Support By Panchmukhi Air Ambulance Service In Mumbai
Author: Dr Mukesh Kumar
13. Why You May Consider Dental Dentures
14. Great Guidance For Denture Users
15. Teeth Extraction And Why It Is Important