ALL >> Business >> View Article
What Are Some Lead Replacement Materials For Radiation Shielding Applications?
Total Articles: 15
Radiation is no stranger to the earth. There have always been a large amounts of radiation coming from various sources that the earth is exposed to constantly, but the earth’s atmosphere absorbs most of them. However, nowadays, the types of radiation that people have to be concerned with come mainly from man-made sources. Many companies working in such fields as the medical, nuclear, and aerospace industries utilize and depend upon equipment that emits radiation. It is widely known that frequent contact and exposure to radiation are hazardous to human health and detrimental to the equipment. Therefore, many radiation shielding applications have been installed to protect people and the working facilities from the harmful rays as well as to comply with work-safety regulatory requirements.
For a long time, lead has been the leading material used in radiation shielding structures and applications. Due to its high density and thickness, lead is very effective in shielding various types of radiation including gamma, X-ray and neutron radiation. It is also praised for its wide availability, ease of fabrication, and high stability. Moreover, it is also a cheap material that can be incorporated into numerous shielding structures with the weights ranging from just a few grams to many tons.
However, lead has come under severe criticism in recent years due to its disastrous impacts on people and the environment. Research shows that lead can negatively impact human’s nervous and reproductive system, weakening the muscles and damaging the brain. For children, lead poisoning can impede their mental and physical development. For the environment, lead pollution can devastate the ecosystem and has serious negative impacts on living plants and animals. Therefore, the need for lead replacement and lead substitute materials is highlighted when selecting radiation shielding materials.
With the increased awareness of the toxicity of lead and the heightened regulatory pressures towards the use of lead, new materials are being developed to serve as lead replacement materials that are 100% lead equivalent in radiation shielding efficacy, such as:
• High density polyethylene – based: Plastic by itself can only be used to shield against alpha radiation, and some easily-absorbed rays. However, when reinforced and combined with other materials to produce plastic composite, its ability to attenuate radiation particles improves tremendously. Borated polyethylene and thermoplastic compounds are examples of lead substitute materials that have many advantages over lead such as light weight, lower cost, higher flexibility and longer lifespan.
• Tungsten – based: Tungsten, which is a hard and rare metal and often exists in the form of chemical compound, serves as an efficient lead replacement material. Tungsten alloys have high density and hardness, in fact almost 60 percent higher than lead, which are desirable characteristics for radiation shielding applications. They can be used to mitigate X-ray and gamma rays. Other benefits of tungsten-based materials include their high temperature resistance.
• Hydrogen – based: Hydrogen is of particular interest to be utilized as a component of radiation shielding due to its environmental friendliness and high availability. In addition, hydrogen can stop more low-energy particles and break down more high-energy heavy ions than other materials. Therefore, hydrogenous materials should be a promising material to replace lead.
Besides these above-mentioned materials, there are additional materials including other types of metal such as aluminum, copper and iron alloys that can be used as effective lead substitute materials depending on the application. In the future, even more lead replacement solutions and materials are expected.
Steven J. Stanek usually writes articles and blogs related to industrial Mechanism and Products, In this article he writes about lead replacement. He loves to share his knowledge on the concept of sustainable living and advocates the adoption of eco-friendly habits. He has been vehemently writing articles for Ecomass.com
Business Articles1. Three Advantages Of Enterprise Content Management Software That Proves Helpful For The News Agencies
Author: Unknown Member
2. Get Ready For The Trips With Wholesale Straight Tuck Boxes
Author: Kashif Aftab
3. Connect With The Right Prospective Tenants With Easy Tenant Screening Tool
Author: Lee Wood
4. Excel Tricks And Shortcuts For Accountants Are Finally Here!!
Author: Lunna Walker
5. Some Useful And Realistic Ways To Get Money Online Without The Hazards Of Additional Investment
Author: Osemudiamen Okoh
6. How Mcr World Is Helpful In Accomplishing Your Goals In The Stock Market
Author: mcrworld knowledge corner
7. Dlf Mall Of India-greatest Enjoyable Place To Visit In Noida
Author: DLF Mall of India
8. Our Every Product Comes With Our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Author: For more details:- hiking store, hiking accessori
9. Marquee Tent Hire Is The Best Option For Those Who Wish To Add A Different Taste For Their Parties
Author: John Jackson
10. Folding Sitting Stool With Carrying Handle
Author: For more details on our products and services, p
11. Manufacturer And Supplier Of Best Quality Polypropylene Multifilament Yarn In Aurangabad
Author: Shreeram Industries
12. Manoeuvring Forklifts For Safety
Author: Alvira Khan
13. Advocaat Bedrijf
14. Armchairs And Sofas For Children
15. Nick Lynch, Cpt
Author: For more details on our products and services, p